Heart Rate Monitor using chest strap reads high

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Custom24

Über Member
Hi there
I am trying to use a HRM that I have, which has a watch and a chest strap. It is an unbranded one, I think, from Aldi or similar.

It's fine at first, but when I start cycling, it reads all over the place, jumping to approx 220 bpm after a couple of minutes. If I stop cycling, it reads OK again after a while. And I am sure it is not my actual HR that is jumping to 220!

I am not sure if it is the other stuff on the bike interfering with it (e.g. my Boardman wireless cycling computer with speed and cadence), or if it is static from the clothes I am wearing. I am wetting the chest strap before I put it on.

Any others finding this problem, and suggestions for fixing it? I don't know if buying a better HRM would help - I don't really want to spend loads because this is just to see how hard I need to work to get my HR into the zone I want, so I probably won't wear it all the time.

Are optical based ones better or worse?

Thanks
Mark

Tizme

Veteran
Have you tried a new battery? I had a problem with "silly" readings and it was just the battery, despite being almost brand new.

OP
OP
Custom24

Custom24

Über Member
Have you tried a new battery? I had a problem with "silly" readings and it was just the battery, despite being almost brand new.
Have already replaced the strap battery. Watch display looks fine but I will also replace that battery and see if it is any better

Tin Pot

Guru
Can be static in the jersey, or poor contacts. Sometimes rubbing saliva onto the contact points before starting can help. Other times too much sweat interferes.

But what’s best is HR analysis that lets you see and edit the outlier readings. Apple and it’s Watch allows this. Strava free, Polar cheap doesn’t.

Top Bottom