Heart Rate Monitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blert596

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice about getting an appropriate HR monitor that I can use for some cardio/gym stuff, and also to use on my Edge 800 out riding

I like to keep track of my HR and Cals when exercising and have had a Polar F4 for this - unfortunately it's now on its last legs and as it doesn't work with my 800 I'd like to get something that does.

I'm just wondering if I was just to get a Garmin HR strap would I need to get anything else. I'm pretty happy to keep the 800 nearby and use it, but am unsure how close it would need to be to receive a signal from the strap. I'd never more than 4m away from it.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a HR strap that I could use with the 800 on rides, and a watch/strap combo for normal fitness/gym workouts that will show me HR and cals used.

I really like the MIO Link but it wont display the HR/Cals as a standalone. Does anyone know if the Fuse will do this?

Edit: Just to say I wont be using it for any running so dont need GPS.

Many thanks

Billy

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
HR in the gym is the most usless number you could have, and it won't be close to accurate anyway.

Might as well guess and save the £

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Because heart rate responds to demand. My <40 resting HR will respond to me standing up, swimming, bench pressing 200kg or riding a 23min 10mi TT. But it will respond in different ways, as each of those things ultimately varies in requirement.

The human heart simply cannot know what the demand is specifically, and specifically enough to give anything like a reliable figure in a gym.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
If you're after a watch type device then how about a Garmin vivofit? It's a glorified pedometer but will show (and record) HR via ANT+ & show a calorie estimate for the day so far to help you track food intake vs expenditure. It won't do GPS tracking, but DC Rainmaker reviewed it and said the distance estimates for running were fairly good. You can buy it with a HR strap bundle that would work with the 800 too no problems....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-vivofit-hrm-bundle/

OP
OP
Blert596

Blert596

So, are you saying that in your opinion there's no point in me monitoring my HR/Cals when doing cardio in the gym/home? What difference is it compared to cycling?

The vivofit just has way too many bits for what I want really. I wouldnt wear it all day and really just want somethng I can slip on when exercising

screenman

Legendary Member
I like using a HRM, mainly on the bike/turbo also when I used to run never used one in the gym though. I also do not use it as an indicator of calories burned.one.

BSRU

A Human Being
I only really use HR when combined with power output during aerobic sessions to measure "aerobic drift"/"aerobic decoupling".
Supposedly less than 5% drift is a sign of aerobic fitness.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you want to use HR as an indication of intensity, across various activities, you will need to do maximal testing, or evidence based approximation for each activity.

For example, triathletes will have 3 sets of heart rate zones based on their single resting heart rate, and 3 maximum heart rate values, one for each sub-sport.

Top Bottom