Heart rate monitoring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Post-ride reflection? Two similar rides (presumably on different days) will probably not compare anyway, because the conditions may be different and he may be riding into a headwind one day, with a tail wind the next. So expecting to be able to compare HR data in that context is equally meaningless. You might as well look at your wristwatch instead.

I just don't see the point in buying an HRM and then making no attempt to understand what it is telling you.
That's fine, if you don't get it that's down to you. I'm happy to let him carry on without having to justify it to anyone

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Perhaps your max was not your max

Citius

That's fine, if you don't get it that's down to you. I'm happy to let him carry on without having to justify it to anyone

Nobody is asking him to justify it - I certainly haven't. But you can't argue that without a valid reference point, the data has no meaning.

Citius

But the point is does it have to? Why can you not just enjoy it for what it is? You do not have to be an Olympic hopeful or a dedicated obsessive to just use and enjoy data

As I said earlier - what data? Looking at the numbers on a wristwatch would be just as relevant. If it's not telling you anything useful, then just leave the HRM at homoe and enjoy the ride.

david k

Hi
As I said earlier - what data? Looking at the numbers on a wristwatch would be just as relevant. If it's not telling you anything useful, then just leave the HRM at homoe and enjoy the ride.
And if that's what he wants to do then fine, if he wants to read HR data then fine, what difference does it make? Just let him enjoy it what ever it is

david k

Hi
Yes it does. You're just one of many who techs themselves up to the eyeballs and has no clue what any of it does or means.

The point(of the post I deleted being) that a single HR figure means nothing..

Who said I use HRM???? Jumping to conclusions there

No it doesn't matter, people can use what tech they like, they don't have to know how to use it or what it means, their right to do what ever they want without someone trying to look down on them and suggest they are stupid for using it

There more HRM police than I though ^_^

Citius

No it doesn't matter, people can use what tech they like, they don't have to know how to use it or what it means, their right to do what ever they want without someone trying to look down on them and suggest they are stupid for using it

Lots of assumptions there. You are mistaking advice for diktat. Nobody said anybody was 'stupid' either. I'm suprised you are so offended by the suggestion that someone should use a training aid correctly, as opposed to incorrectly - but there we are.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

You have a number of threads in this section regarding HRM's. I believe I posted in most of them..

david k

Hi
You have a number of threads in this section regarding HRM's. I believe I posted in most of them..

Good to know you are policing the forum for anyone who may not understand their HR data to the level of a pro, we can rest assured there will not be a post from a leisure cyclist without someone to talk down to them

Citius

Good to know you are policing the forum for anyone who may not understand their HR data to the level of a pro, we can rest assured there will not be a post from a leisure cyclist without someone to talk down to them

Honestly - you don't need to be a pro to understand HR data. You just need a reference point, like a MHR or LTHR number. I'm not a pro - far from it - I'm not even very good at maths. You don't need to be either - most HRMs will work out your data for you, but as in computing, you only get out what you put in. And if you put nothing useful in, you get nothing useful out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Just got home and see there had been a lot of interest in the thread! Obviously, I'm no pro having to work very hard to go at a comparitive slow speed.

This is the ride in question:

Check out my 25.2 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/254769950

It's merely an observation that my heart rate got to an all time high but not only by a small amount.

After more thought about it I'm maybe thinking that my Max may could well be higher than I thought it was, just didn't expect it I guess with my Max till now being relatively consistent between rides. Just realised but the extended effort was in a segment which I can remember pushing hard on.

Today I purposely took it easy and this was the result below. The last half of the ride also was into a 10mph head wind which raised my average slightly.

Check out my 28.5 mi Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/255217983

I know I'm no expert at this HR monitoring and that's partly the reason I started this thread. I just like looking at the figures in all honesty but I do feel that I can see improvement in my fitness with regards to comparing HR data.

I will read more into it to try to 'understand' it better.

Thanks.

Top Bottom