Heart rate over a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So can anyone tell me or provide a good link to what happens to your heart rate response over time on a ride.

For instance. Yesterday I did 4 seperate climbs. On the first climb I hit my peak HR but it's not the hardest climb. So on the 2nd climb, which really hurt, my HR did not rise as much, 3 or 4 beeats lower. Likewise on the third and fourth, in fact the max HR dropped on each.

So out of curiosity, rather than any real need to train for racing or owt, what's happening there. Does the heart tire? Or is it that despite how it feels, my legs are actually too tired to push as hard as I get further into the ride so I don't need as much oxygen?

Just interested.

02GF74

Über Member
i would say the first climb warmed you up so your body organs reorganise t hemselves to this demand, redirecting blood, running more efficitnetly once warmed up so the next time you did the same thing, your body was in better condition for it. it would be interesting to see what you HR said had you gone back to doing the first climb after the second one.

but then again that ^^ may be b*ll*cks.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

No I think you are at least part right from what I've been reading. The body does adapt by shutting down bllod flow to non-essential stuff, like digestion. Not sure what time period that happens over though.

I kinda do do the hill again by coming back up the other side, similiar gradient. So from what I remember:-

Climb 1 - 7% 1.3 miles Max HR 179 (5 miles into ride)
Climb 2 - 10% 1.5 miles Max HR 176 (8 miles into ride)
Climb 3 - 9% 1.4 miles Max HR 174 (10 miles into ride)
Climb 4 - 7% 1.3 miles Max HR 172 (15 miles into ride)

Crackle said:
No I think you are at least part right from what I've been reading. The body does adapt by shutting down bllod flow to non-essential stuff, like digestion. Not sure what time period that happens over though.

I kinda do do the hill again by coming back up the other side, similiar gradient. So from what I remember:-

Climb 1 - 7% 1.3 miles Max HR 179 (5 miles into ride)
Climb 2 - 10% 1.5 miles Max HR 176 (8 miles into ride)
Climb 3 - 9% 1.4 miles Max HR 174 (10 miles into ride)
Climb 4 - 7% 1.3 miles Max HR 172 (15 miles into ride)

I think I've said it before on these forums - HR is not a super-accurate indicator of how hard you are working. The numbers you post are not significantly different enough to draw any conclusions at all.

There are many thousands of variables (physiological, mechanical, environmental) involved in getting you up those hills, so I wouldn't concern yourself with tiny variations in just one inherently variable measurement.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Not really concerned, just curious but you're right, there not hugely different.

I posted that as an illustration of a general trend on the bike which is different to running. On the bike my HR invariably drops slowly, whereas running it used to go up slowly.

I only use the HR monitor now when I'm 'honing' my fitness. The peaks and average on climbs and rides give me an indication of where I am CV fitness wise. It also just generally helps monitor the way I 'feel' against my effort - With the proviso I know it's not super-accurate but you can see patterns.

GruB

Out of interest Crackle, which climb did you put more effort into?
Do you know all four as well as each other?
Were you feeling better on 2 than 1?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Hi Grub

Yes I know them well now, done them a few times.

Climb 1, I always try to hold back on and try to get a rhythm going .
Climb 2, starts OK but saves the last 1/2 mile for the worst.
Climb 3, has less grade variations so generally easier to maintain a rhythm and no sting in the tale.
Climb 4 isn't so bad but is always hard after the other 3 and has a lot of grade changes.

1 is OK but you have to strangle the temptation to use a bigger gear and go harder because you know there's three more coming. Felt best on 3, the last half mile of 2 is always the worst and 4, there's less pain but also less left in the legs when you need them to respond.

None of them are particulalrly steep but as I've never been a fast climber I find them a good test. My speed up and over them never seems to change but as I get fitter the pain becomes less and my heartrate drops. E.g. average over this ride was 159 but 6 weeks on last year, my average hr was consistently 153.

GruB

I rode a series of climbs last week near Hungerford and although I'd been up them from a different direction previously, I didn't really know them. I went up a little too fast really but was suckered in by being in a group. My thighs were really burning when I got to the top and had to honk a bit at the end.
I think part of my problem was not 'knowing' the climb - hence my question to you. Being tense and concerned about the climb would increase my heart rate anyway.
In contrast on my ride this morning I did a steeper hill that was on my really old commute and I flew up it and that was with greater miles in my legs than on Thursday.
The mind can really play tricks or assist you I reckon.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

No I think you're right. Being prepared for the pain often makes it easier. The hills that sneak up on you can be the most painful, because exactly as you say, you start them at the wrong pace :biggrin:

Top Bottom