Heart rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just got a Garmin heart rate monitor, don't know much about using the heart rate monitor, i got a couple of readings of it max heart rate was 174 and average was 138. how does that compare to others that use them, that was over a 38 mile ride average speed was 15.2 mph.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It doesn't. Ever

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just got a Garmin heart rate monitor, don't know much about using the heart rate monitor, i got a couple of readings of it max heart rate was 174 and average was 138. how does that compare to others that use them, that was over a 38 mile ride average speed was 15.2 mph.

1st thing to note re. HRM, you can NOT compare your numbers to anyone else's numbers!

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

My ignore list is growing, so is there any one out there that has a heart rate monitor and what figures are you getting for max and average heart rate, over a forty mile ride.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
My ignore list is growing, so is there any one out there that has a heart rate monitor and what figures are you getting for max and average heart rate, over a forty mile ride.
Hi Derrick. Its very age related.

How old are you? It will give a (rough) idea on what your max heart rate is.

An average of something in the 130's would be a very sedate ride for me, probably at about the speeds you were doing. But it also depends on the elevation profile of the ride etc. do you have the ride on strava?

Derrick - it sounds like you might be ignoring this, but in any case let me explain to you why it doesn't matter.

You are a unique person (as we all are) - nobody else has your physiology, fitness and musculature. Consequently, it is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to you what anyone else's HR readings are. I could post my own numbers for a 40 miler and they would mean absolutely nothing to you. You could put the two sets of numbers side by side and they would tell you absolutely nothing, nada, zilch. You could even do the same ride again tomorrow and get completely different numbers yourself.

Honestly, it would be about as useful as me asking "hey everyone, I've just bought a new pair of trousers and I was wondering what size trousers everyone else wears?" (don't answer that, by the way).

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

Hi Derrick. Its very age related.

How old are you? It will give a (rough) idea on what your max heart rate is.

An average of something in the 130's would be a very sedate ride for me, probably at about the speeds you were doing. But it also depends on the elevation profile of the ride etc. do you have the ride on strava?
60 years old here is the ride.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/258625891

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Another comment, max (unless the aim of the ride was to find your MHR) and average HR of a ride are useless even with regards to yourself, time at each HR (or HR zone) is more useful. E.g. You may wish to do a ride at 85% HR, you could get an average HR of 85% MHR and think you accomplished your goal, but this may result from spending lots of time above and below the target HR and little to no time at the actual target HR, so you failed miserably.

If it really would satisfy some sort of curiosity, my Max HR today was 189 BPM, my average was 160 BPM. Ride was 56 miles, ~3.5k ascent and average speed 16.6 or 16.9 MPH, depending on if you believe Strava or Garmin Connect (I would tend to go with Garmin since this takes the data from the wheel sensor, Strava takes it from GPS - Garmin also gives the highest number so looks more impressive!).

ayceejay

Guru
Here is the clue what this might be all about
"Just got a Garmin heart rate monitor, don't know much about using the heart rate monitor" Derek.
Now can we help him or point him in the direction of helpful information or is taking the piss simply more fun?
My suggestion would be to find your resting heart rate (easily done) then get some idea of max heart rate with the formula readily available from google and useful training zones from the likes of BrianMAC. As others have said the real figures will be unique to you but with this knowledge you won't be completely in the dark.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Looks pretty good to me although It's impossible though to say how anyone else would do.

There are so many variables with HR that can affect results.

It's a pretty flat ride and it looks like you recovered from the lumps pretty well.

The best use of HR that I've found is to see how loaded you are with training stress, the higher the levels the higher the ave HR will be and the slower the recovery after sprints/climbs. That's been a good indicator to me on how effective my recovery phases have been (or not). It's also useful to see how you progress with your fitness though, it's quite motivating to see your average HR coming down and your speed going up.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Here is the clue what this might be all about
"Just got a Garmin heart rate monitor, don't know much about using the heart rate monitor" Derek.
Now can we help him or point him in the direction of helpful information or is taking the **** simply more fun?
My suggestion would be to find your resting heart rate (easily done) then get some idea of max heart rate with the formula readily available from google and useful training zones from the likes of BrianMAC. As others have said the real figures will be unique to you but with this knowledge you won't be completely in the dark.
If you take the time to read the OP actually says "how does that compare to others that use them,"

It does not compare, cannot compare and won't ever compare to mine or anyone elses. The wording completely changes the question. derrick later changed the question and all was well. The original answers may have been short and sharp, but they were all that needed to be said.

ayceejay

Guru
Well then I guess that put us both in our place eh? Unless, of course you try to understand where the OP is coming from in his admission of ignorance about using HRM and answer accordingly (see MattHB above) and not from your high horse.

Top Bottom