Heart rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I need to really keep my gamin off to measure the resting heart rate but I find it hard sleeping with a watch on and only really put it on for rides, runs or swims.
You don't need a device to measure your resting HR. Simply turn on the timer on your phone and check your neck pulse. First thing after you wake up is the ideal time. You should note wrist worn devices are not especially accurate. When riding I use a Wahoo Tickr strap to measure HR and show this on my Wahoo Elemnt. My wrist worn Garmin HR usually shows 10-15 beats higher.

I check the chest strap reading by taking my pulse when I put it on. I've also checked its accuracy against a medical grade Omron BP monitor we have in the house. Always accurate while the Garmin is rarely accurate.

Your maximum HR is only relevant to you and in general terms isn't particularly important unless you're working to a training regime. Maximum HR is simply that, maximum.

The key point is recovery rate. If your HR drops by 20bpm (recovery rate) you're in a good place. If it's down around 12-13 you should speak to your GP.

FYI. I'm 67 in a couple of weeks. I ride 200+ miles/week. My resting HR is 42, maximum 179* and recovery rate 30 or more bpm. I regularly ride with a guy three years younger than me, his HR is usually 35-40bpm higher when we are riding side by side.

*This can change. For years I was around 160, then October 2019 I hit 179 about 100 metres from the top of Fleet Moss.

Yesterday's ride 17mph average over 58 miles I averaged 109bpm. This includes battering myself on a 3.6 mile climb and peaking at 169bpm.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I need to really keep my gamin off to measure the resting heart rate but I find it hard sleeping with a watch on and only really put it on for rides, runs or swims.
You don’t have to be asleep, just lie quietly on the bed for half an hour

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I found that the difference in RHR between sitting up and lying down was about 5 bpm. I could get it down another 5 bpm by clearing my mind and totally relaxing.

Thinking about work problems though would add 90-100 bpm. Seriously - I was suffering from stress at the time! :eek:

Interesting, maybe I can get it below 40 bpm with a lie down?

Domus

Guru
I wear a Fitbit all the time, I too was a bit dubious about it's accuracy. When I went in for my prostate biopsy I checked it against the one used by the nurse, it was spot on

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
In general, optical sensors are pretty decent these days. Maybe a touch of lag vs a strap in a high intensity situation but that's kind of expected when the measurement method changes

You don't need a device to measure your resting HR. Simply turn on the timer on your phone and check your neck pulse. First thing after you wake up is the ideal time. You should note wrist worn devices are not especially accurate. When riding I use a Wahoo Tickr strap to measure HR and show this on my Wahoo Elemnt. My wrist worn Garmin HR usually shows 10-15 beats higher.

I check the chest strap reading by taking my pulse when I put it on. I've also checked its accuracy against a medical grade Omron BP monitor we have in the house. Always accurate while the Garmin is rarely accurate.

Your maximum HR is only relevant to you and in general terms isn't particularly important unless you're working to a training regime. Maximum HR is simply that, maximum.

The key point is recovery rate. If your HR drops by 20bpm (recovery rate) you're in a good place. If it's down around 12-13 you should speak to your GP.

FYI. I'm 67 in a couple of weeks. I ride 200+ miles/week. My resting HR is 42, maximum 179* and recovery rate 30 or more bpm. I regularly ride with a guy three years younger than me, his HR is usually 35-40bpm higher when we are riding side by side.

*This can change. For years I was around 160, then October 2019 I hit 179 about 100 metres from the top of Fleet Moss.

Yesterday's ride 17mph average over 58 miles I averaged 109bpm. This includes battering myself on a 3.6 mile climb and peaking at 169bpm.

That's weird. Why would your MHR jump by 19 ? I really have to struggle to get to my MHR and it rises by one beat at a time. Jumping by 19 would make me think it's an error.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's weird. Why would your MHR jump by 19 ? I really have to struggle to get to my MHR and it rises by one beat at a time. Jumping by 19 would make me think it's an error.
I think it's about training and effort. In the past I had occasionally hit the high 160s but not often. 2019 was a fantastic cycling year for me, I was on fire. I spent six months training for the 312 then illness prevented me taking part but the fitness remained.

The time I hit 179 was just off the summit of Fleetmoss, it was our third Cat 3 climb in 20 miles so feel the reading would be correct.

I've found non-cycling related exercise has built my performance somewhat. I can hold an HR of 145-150 quite comfortably. A couple of years ago this wasn't even in my mind!

I'd stress none of this is targeted training. I do what I do because its fun.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In general, optical sensors are pretty decent these days. Maybe a touch of lag vs a strap in a high intensity situation but that's kind of expected when the measurement method changes

They seem to be quite good at measuring at 'rest'. My Samsung watch will take a measurement when you are resting and gives you a 'resting' summary which is useful (for example if I've had alcohol, my resting is higher overnight) and it's useful to tell if you are becoming unwell.

As for during exercise, they aren't as good as a chest strap. You have to 'know' yourself. I don't 'watch' the HR on the Garmin - I just leave it doing it's job. After the ride you can look to see. For example, you might be climbing, but don't feel quite right, your HR may be low, or it may be high compared to other efforts, but this can be a sign of illness or over training.

I really wouldn't worry. My club mate had a low resting and a low max - 150ish max, where I'd be in the 190's. We are all different. As has been said, it's the speed your heart rate recovers shows your fitness. If it's staying high, you may be unwell.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The climb of Fleet Moss (from the north, Hawes side) just keeps getting steeper and steeper as you ascend. There is a brutal ramp of about 25% just before it starts to level off (and then there is another ramp before the true summit). If you ride hard up the first 90% of it you will get your heart rate well up even before you hit that 25% ramp and at that point you could either hit your true maximum heart rate or have to get off and push! :laugh:

I don't think you would ever try that hard on a lesser gradient unless you were a sprinter or a very keen time triallist.

The climb of Fleet Moss (from the north, Hawes side) just keeps getting steeper and steeper as you ascend. There is a brutal ramp of about 25% just before it starts to level off (and then there is another ramp before the true summit).
Yes, and the north side is almost dead straight. Probably a ghastly climb, but a gorgeous descent. Surely noone would choose to climb it that way round, better to climb northbound to Hawes, then head East and climb back that way; a delightful loop!
Glad to help x.

ColinJ

Yes, and the north side is almost dead straight. Probably a ghastly climb, but a gorgeous descent.
Unless you get the idiot bastard psycho driver from Hell overtaking you...!!!!! :eek::cursing:

We set off down the descent. as promised, I warned everybody about it and told them to be careful. and then ignored my own advice ... So there I was, descending at 65 kph (41 mph), getting blown from side to side by gusting crosswinds, when a tosser in a black car decided that it was perfectly safe to overtake me! It is a narrow road and I was close to the centre of it to allow for lateral movements due to the wind. I couldn't hear anything except for wind noise blasting my ears so it was a complete shock to suddenly find a car a few inches from my right elbow!!! :eek:

This might not be the exact spot, but it is close. Imagine riding your bike down there at that speed, close to the centre of the road. Just how can it be safe to overtake? :wacko:

fleet-moss-descent-towards-hawes-jpg.jpg

You will have to ask @rusty bearing for his verdict. He was behind me some way back up the hill and witnessed it.

You were not exaggerating in the slightest young sir, in my view he tried to overtake when the road was not really wide enough to do so at the speed you were traveling. Besides, there was if I recall a bend coming up. There was also less space between the car and you than between the car and offside verge!:eek:
Frankly , as I said at the time, I'd have followed you and been seriously impressed that it's possible to go that fast on a bike and maintain control:notworthy:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The climb of Fleet Moss (from the north, Hawes side) just keeps getting steeper and steeper as you ascend. There is a brutal ramp of about 25% just before it starts to level off (and then there is another ramp before the true summit). If you ride hard up the first 90% of it you will get your heart rate well up even before you hit that 25% ramp and at that point you could either hit your true maximum heart rate or have to get off and push! :laugh:

I don't think you would ever try that hard on a lesser gradient unless you were a sprinter or a very keen time triallist.

Yep! I went up at 8.1avg in 24:56. Fifth fastest in my age group. So I'm not altogether surprised by the new max HR. :laugh::eek:

I did go on rollers and go hardest gear for max effort for 5 mins... My vo2 max went through the roof but i got the sweats and felt really sick after like 10 minutes and couldnt get off the bed for like 40 mins lol
Feeling sick and not getting out of bed that long however is a concern. See a cardiologist. You need to rule out any underlying heart defect / irregular beat etc. If you are in the clear, go all out. Your fitness increase can be seen by speed and distance improved.

Doctors when they listen thru the stethoscope are listening more for rhythm. First responders are checking for pulse to see if it is weak, elevated or if you indeed dead. BPM by itself is not a good indicator of fitness or health. Albeit a low resting heart rate below 50s is a strong indicator that you have potential, endurance wise. It is widely used in identifying your teens in schools as the country's future sports prospects.

ColinJ

Yep! I went up at 8.1avg in 24:56. Fifth fastest in my age group. So I'm not altogether surprised by the new max HR. :laugh::eek:
I have managed to ride up it a couple of times, but a couple of other times I had to walk the second half of that 25% ramp!

I have no idea how fast (i.e. SLOW!) I was, but I doubt that I even averaged 8.1 km/hr on the climb, let alone 8.1 miles/hr. :laugh:

Top Bottom