Heart rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont think you have any thing to worry about but any concerns talk to your GP.

TBH i use a hrm also but find it much more useful when solo for zone training.

Theres not much i can do about my HR when on a group cycle but the one good thing i find on a group cycle with a HR monitor if my HR is about 130 i could cycle all day, 150 i am ok for between an hour and 90 minutes, 170 lucky if i can hold on for 20 minutes and if i am at 190 i am maxed out and will burn out in a minute (or less).

Hi on weekends I ride with some friends who are much fitter than me and keeping up with them is difficult. My heart rate today peaked at 193 and I'm 31 years old. So this is dangerous for me right? What's the best way to get my heart rate lower on these kind of rides? Or should I avoid these rides for now?
As I am sure you've picked up 220-age is nonsense for those doing activity. I am 45 now and will regularly hit 193bpm + (the most I've done this year was 202bpm). My mate the same age as me regularly does 202bpm plus though and my other mate 5 years younger peaks at 185bpm to great effect.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
But people don't calculate how hard to ride based on their height... :whistle:

@matticus point is that the 220 age thing is an average. So if you took a large enough sample of people across different ages you’d find people above and below the 220 - age thing with a trend towards the line drawn by 220 - x. The 220 - age works at a population level average but not at an individual level.

Bit like the average speed of UK males on Strava is 15 mph , but it doesn’t mean your average will be 15 mph.

No it's not nonsense, it's just an avera ... oh never mind ...
Its nonsense to worry about it if your not average does that make you happy :okay:

OP
OP
Mralexrides

Mralexrides

Yeah its slowly going down now. On the same hill today where I peaked 196 and today it peaked 190 and was a much hotter day!

Top Bottom