Heartbroken :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Hi guys

I got the bike Monday, took it to my local bike shop on the same day and they got it all checked and tightened and I collected it on Tuesday. Everything has been going great!

HOWEVER...
Last night I fitted a new bottle cage so I was ready to go first thing this morning and the screws were really tight to unscrew, I thought it might just be because it's new...so I carried on loosening and it was fine.
I then proceeded to fit the new cage with the bikes bottle cage screws and it was very tight to do up, I am aware of issues with cross-threading etc and again I tried to do it but stopped as I did not want to cause any damage, after this I tried to remove it and then the screw would not come out at all and just stayed in the hole making circular motions when I tried to unscrew it out.

I am absolutely heartbroken :sad::cry::sad::cry::sad: as I have been very precious about this bike, its my first road bike and I have been very careful with everything. I proceeded to take the bike to the same local bike shop (Spiral Cycles in ASHFORD, KENT) who I have used many times before and I trust their judgement.

They had a decent look and concluded its a fault with the frame and that I should contact Tredz or Specialized - of course, their warranty team are only there Monday to Friday so I have to days to stew over it. :blink:

I am glad I did not have high hopes for the shop being able to fix it as I would have been even more upset now.

Maybe its a sign that I am not worthy of the road bike world - or nice things - or my sanity.... :cry::cry:

midlife

Guru
Oops! New Rivnut or new frame :smile:

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Well no it wouldn't usually but the bottle cage makes an awful noise because the screw isn't tight in the nut.

You can't even get the screw out to re tap it. Or put a new rivnut in!! :-(

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Put some electrical tape round it so it's tight to the frame

And a cable tie to boot. A water bottle is pretty heavy. I hope your warranty appeal goes well. Maybe mention “you have asked for helpful advice” on a very busy forum without sounding threatening. A good outcome will ensure good word of mouth right? Hint hint. Word it carefully and don’t get fired up.

And also consider a torque wrench for Christmas. If I remember correctly, bottle cages only require about 4Nm on an ali bike. That’s not much.

Keep fighting the good fight.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I totally understand how you feel though. Some things really get you more than they have any right to. I hope it all gets sorted to your satisfaction.

Lonestar

Veteran
I think I'd like to shy away from cable ties.One of the guys at work had his electric bike serviced and they botched it by fitting the front mudguard with cable ties.Needles to say they broke and he had a bad accident.Ok not the same as a bottle cage but the lesson is there.

Top Bottom