Heartbroken :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
It's not totally clear what you have done. Why would the Allen bolt just rotate but not come out? Even if it was cross threaded, it should still come out. Are you sure you haven't rounded off the allen bolt head, and the bolt isn't actually turning, just the allen key is? A photo would be great.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Boo! It's horrible when a new shiny is anything less than perfect. Personally I'd pursue the warranty replacement route with Specialized and/or Tredz rather than bodge it or pay out for a repair. Good luck!
It's not totally clear what you have done. Why would the Allen bolt just rotate but not come out? Even if it was cross threaded, it should still come out. Are you sure you haven't rounded off the allen bolt head, and the bolt isn't actually turning, just the allen key is? A photo would be great.
Charlotte took it to her LBS who diagnosed the problem, so that's not what is being asked here.

Last edited:

Velochris

Über Member
Depends on how badly damagee the threads are.

A cheap thread tap tool of the correct size may repair it.

A good bike shop should have tried it but I have been to some who did not even know what a thread tap was.

Bought myself a set fro MachineMart which has paid for itself so many times over.

A long shot but if you know an engineer or similar it will be a cheap fix.

**Just read it is spinning so my initial advice is not relevant. Still useful for anyone who does cross a thread.**

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Guys....we fixed it ourselves. Although this info is super useful. I tested it on the road after our "O" ring back and it was lovely and quiet again..

Now to pick up the remaining bits of sanity I have!

Tangoup51

Guys....we fixed it ourselves. Although this info is super useful. I tested it on the road after our "O" ring back and it was lovely and quiet again..

Now to pick up the remaining bits of sanity I have!

I'm glad you've fixed it but in all honesty you should be concerned what other damage may have been caused down there. After all, this is a frame fault and so there could be more significant underlying issues that can come back to bite you on your a** - as for such a new bike, it could well be an indication that there are other underlying faults.

- I advise you Contact Specialized ( customerservice@specializeduk.com < Could be wrong email; research yourself) by email and send pictures of the problem you're having.

You should ask whether this is a Quality Control issue (something common) or perhaps something more serious and would warrant the entire frame to be in need of replacement. - In which case, You're more than liable to have a refund on your new bike or have an option to swap it for a new one.

Personally, I advise you to skip all of the above and just contact Tredz and return & swap for a new bike ASAP. - I've heard stories of people underlooking minor frame discrepancies on a new bike that turn out to be a fatality not long after the warranty has expired, even though that may not be the case with your bike it is certainly going to worry you down the line.

Note that this may be your final time to reconsider your purchase of this bike altogether, despite how much you love this bike, any discrepancies, concerns or feelings of "meh" about this bike should be addressed Now during this time.

You have my deepest sympathy for this experience, but remember, all of us have had problems with our bikes to a serious degree when we just wanted to ride them. - There are no exceptions, so I give you an unfortunate welcome to road bikes.

adamhearn

Veteran
Whilst you have provided a decent workaround it's still something you should take back to the supplier. Worst case they'll say it's not a fault and you must live with it as is. I'd personally want a new bike to be fully functional including bottle mounts when new. If I did the same some months down the line after road crud had taken its toll I'd shrug it off as you have.

Top Bottom