heavy bike workout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Knackered today riding my old heavy hybrid for the 12 mile round commute (road bike had a puncture).

Got me thinking though that it might not be a bad thing to burn some calories though...

Does anyone purposefully ride a heavier bike for a relatively short commute for more of a workout?

I've got a really short commute but I mainly ride a heavier bike for commuting as its less desirable to thieves on the other hand its the only way to get any exercise on my 3.5 mile commute.

longers

Legendary Member
My bike is not so heavy but I carry at least one pannier with too much gear in it which ups the weight considerably.

My commute is also very short but I rarely take the short route home. It's 2.6 miles there and back but I do about 12 miles a day.

It's all training isn't it? I'll feel the benefit when I get my fast bike out :wacko:.

Brock

Burning calories is bad for the environment, why not just take the Q.E.II and murder the entire planet on purpose?

My bike is pretty heavy. It's an upgraded ridgeback cyclone. However, it is all the additions that make it quite heavy: heavy lock, attachment for child seat, 1.75 marathon plus tyres, several lights, and mudguards. I will have to weigh it at some point to see what it comes in at.

I quite like that fact that the bike isn't the lightest as it does give me more of a workout (5 miles each way). One day I'd love to try the commute on a road bike to see the difference, however, there is little in the coffers at the moment and I would almost be guaranteed a puncture going through the Clyde Tunnel ;)

Edit: Oh and I carry a fairly heavy rucksack with some cans of juice, sandwiches, clothes, etc....

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I dug out my banana-coloured fixie today for the first time in quite a while. It's a lot lighter than my regular bike, but it doesn't save any energy to ride it.

I just find I'm going faster. And with no choice of gear, if your cadence drops to an uncomfortable level, your only option is to dig in and go faster.

Mrs Uncle Phil was keeping me company this morning. "You're going like the clappers", she said. It was news to me. Welcome news though!

Athletes regularly add weight to bikes or themselves for training purposes. It's called hyper gravity training and is a recognised technique. Goalkeepers will jump with weights on their ankles, rugby wings will sprint while pulling a car tyre tied around their waist, cyclists carry extra weight (in my case, around my belly - about 10kg!)

cupoftea

I ride an old MTB and racing roadies is a great way of burning calories

I might get a road bike this year as my wife wants me home earlier.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I commute on my MTB plus lights, mudguards, heavy semi slick tyres and a heavy rucksack with waterproofs, one of my locks, a few tools/spares and a change of shirt/undies, oh and lunch...

My nice road bikes stay at home. The 'tank' has helped me drop 2 stone in weight, and I absolutely fly now on the road bikes. Commuting 16 mile round trip and pass roadies and other commuters.

Just makes you appreciate the road bike at weekends - very nice ride....

Fully loaded the tank must weigh 35lbs easy, plus 10lb rucksack (was heavier at one point).

Tynan

Veteran
When I lived in Southend, one Fatima Whitbread was the local hero

the local news showed her running along the street with a rope round her waist, panned out to show the rope attached to a huge truck tyre, panned back to show the tyre had a load of bloody great weights in it

can't wait to get my new road bike, I'm 'training' hard on something very old and heavy and worn out

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

fossyant said:
My nice road bikes stay at home. The 'tank' has helped me drop 2 stone in weight, and I absolutely fly now on the road bikes. Commuting 16 mile round trip and pass roadies and other commuters.

Just makes you appreciate the road bike at weekends - very nice ride....

Now, this is what I'm getting at. I honestly reckon that riding a lesser bike than a roady, gets your angry levels up, and you tend to hammer it more to teach the piece of shoot a lesson.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It does help, but my commute is fairly built up in heavy traffic, so the slight reduction in 'out and out speed' and more up-right position helps me see where I'm going. The road bikes would be wasted as there are too many stop starts.

Being a heavy machine, you tend to sit down more, so accelerate in the saddle and climb the same - has really boosted my fitness back to where I was about 10 years ago, and riding the road bikes is soo nice.. I ride it just as hard as the road bikes - limited time training (i.e. commutes) so make it pay....

PrettyboyTim

I don't think I've ever owned a light bike. I must try riding one some time. However I worry slightly that I then wouldn't want to go back to something heavy which would preclude me from carrying all the crap around on my bike that I do currently...

Keith Oates

Janner
I commute mostly on a MTB complete with knobbly tyres and also find that when I use the roadie the effort is the same but the speed is increased, especially if there is a head wind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom