heavy breathing!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Principally for transport.

In that case it depends on whether you are running late or not. :smile:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I ride slowly up hills. come to think of it I ride slowly down hills and on the flats. Does everything in modern life have to be done at breakneck speeds? cry.gif

Not at all. Some people get pleasure from slow riding others from riding at speed. I like to test myself from time to time and when I do I don't care how much like a perv I sound :smile:

Norm

The most effective way to breath is in through the nose and out through the mouth. If you control your breathing to do this, deep breath in, hold 2 3, deep breath out 2 3, deep breath in... Then you should find it easier. It certainly helped me when I was doing cross country running a few years ago.
This... almost.

Breathe with the stomach muscles as well as the ribs, as most people have a fair amount of unused capacity in their lungs. Breathing with the upper lungs alone is called chest breathing, it's ok when resting or sleeping but not good when exercising. Breathing quickly, or panting, with short challow breaths is the least efficient. Deep breaths will not only calm you but, by using the full lung capacity, will re-oxygenate your blood much faster.

However, you need to practice this off the bike when resting, don't try it for the first time when you need it. Try breathing just by using the stomach, have a tape measure around your ribs to try and minimise the chest movement.

Sitting upright is another good tip to control breathing. It's one of the reasons that most singers stand or perch on a tall stool, rather than sit, as it allows them to use their full lung capacity.

Also, try to match your breathing to the rhythm of your pedals strokes. Breath in for 5 revolutions, then breath out for five.

Alternatively, just avoid the hills. :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
I had similar problems. After visiting the doctor and being given inhalers for my, up until then, undiagnosed Asthma I don't sound like a broken down steam engine. Well not often anyway.

peelywally

my only worry is that my bum will try and help by exhaling
sad.gif

so i do my very best to breath properly

AncientWyvern

Yeah, i do it too, no point in trying any particular technique in my opinion. Just keep going up those hills and your breathing will sort itself out and as you get fitter you'll find you will naturally get quieter.

The most effective way to breath is in through the nose and out through the mouth. If you control your breathing to do this, deep breath in, hold 2 3, deep breath out 2 3, deep breath in... Then you should find it easier. It certainly helped me when I was doing cross country running a few years ago.
Breathing in through the nose also stops you getting a mouthful of greenfly etc..... Nothing worse than gulping a full load of air in only to feel something hit the back of your throat!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
when I go up a hill, I am very conscious that I breathe heavily and loudly after a bit. Of course, I find it very embarrasing when someone is next to me and seeming to breathe quietly. :blush:
Is there a way of doing it a bit quieter as I find it impossible to breathe through my nose when loads of power is needed.

The only reason you couldn't hear them breathing is that they're employing the technique known as "passing another cyclist breathing", where you carefully control your breathing when passing / being passed by another cyclist, all in the interests of maintaining your coolness, of course! :tongue:. See here - it's rule #9: http://18milesperhour.tumblr.com/universaltruthsofcycling.

Top Bottom