heavy cyclist carbon frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icequake

Regular
Hi

After cycling for 12 months i have the itch to buy a carbon bike. My weight is 19 stone am i mad to buy carbon. I was thinking of going for the giant tcr.

thank you

vickster

Legendary Member
Not mad but bear in mind any manufacturer specified weight limits, if you exceed and have an issue, they might get funny about the warranty

Wheels might be more of a consideration, consider handbuilts with more spokes if have issues with going out of true or spokes going

Drago

Legendary Member
Giant claim 275lbs, or 120kg, for rider plus up to 10lbs for luggage/clothing so you're within their weight limit and should be fine. That's not bad going, I found a lot only guarantee road frames to 105kg which puts budget carbon beyond the reach of manly 19 stoners like us. Fortunately I'm not really into that sort of thing so has thankfully never made me cry.

I've never had issues with wheels, and wouldn't anticipate that you will if you're the same weight as me, unless you're a really unsympathetic rider.

Buy it, ride it, enjoy it.

OP
OP
icequake

icequake

Regular
Hi
thank you for your replies. Still a bit worried about going for a carbon bike. Does anyone know if the giant tcr bike have any faults?.

thank you

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm the same weight and wouldn't be in the least bit worried over that models capacity to support my lard. Speaking of which, the TCR of all specs is well regarded and competitive value. Well worth a test ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
Giants are well made and have a lifetime warranty (usually only for original owner), just double check the weight limits

Paulscycles and Ashcycles have last year's models on sale

Hi
thank you for your replies. Still a bit worried about going for a carbon bike. Does anyone know if the giant tcr bike have any faults?.

thank you
Giant's are good bikes. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

As for recommended weight limit, go to the giant site, look at your chosen model and click "What is my size" You are under the maximum for TCR. Don't hit 20 stone though :smile:

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 22.08.28.jpg

Top Bottom