Hebridean Way - Getting back to Oban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Burnie

Just been looking at the same thing. My Dad and I are ending our Hebridean Cycle Ride on Thursday 23rd May 2019. We have booked the Heb Shuttle for Friday 24th May 2019 From Stornoway to take us back for the Barra Ferry to Oban. Looking for another couple of people want to share the travel and cost of the bike transfer mini bus. Send me a message if interested.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My advice would be to try and make it a longer trip. I went in 2010 and did this from Lancashire:

Train >Glasgow >train and ferry to Arran >cycle round Arran to Lochranza >ferry to Mull of Kintyre >cycle Oban >ferry Barra >cycle Stornaway >ferry Ullapool >cycle Inverness >sleeper to Preston >cycle home.

I realise the above is much more and longer than you are planning. My point though would be 3 days in the Outer Hebrides is not enough. The area is so beautiful you will stop frequently to explore, take photos etc. 4 days, ideally 5 should be your target if possible.

Two tips; if you are B&Bing be sure to book Barra in advance as accommodation is limited. If your on the late arriving ferry in to Barra eat on the ferry as everything in Barra will be closed. If you plan to look for B&B on a daily basis be aware accommodation can be thin on the ground.

8mph

Veteran
Whatever you do please avoid riding on the A835? I've cycled the entire length the traffic is very fast. The side of the road is littered with dead deer, car mirrors and other bits of broken vehicles.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If he does avoid the A835 it will be tricky getting from Ullapool to Inverness. My recollection is that for a main road it's relatively quiet, I'd certainly ride it again.

8mph

Veteran
Up to you, I was going full tilt the whole way because the traffic was too fast and too close. There are a lot of fatalities on that road. I would go from Harris to Lochinver personally and pootle back through Bonarbridge and Invergordon but I guess that would need a lot more time. Shame to miss Lochinver if you're up that way though.

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Perhaps my blog on our Tour d'Ecosse may help, which includes the Hebriddean Way but we did a circle from and back to Ardrossan. Scroll down for the links to relevant days for Western Isles.
Thanks for that link Fiona, its only stengthened my resolve to do this. Hope I get better weather that you had though!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hello I'm new here , but i've cycled in the Outer Hebrides a couple of times - three days just isn't enough - to go all the way up and back and have a nice time - especially if the wind is against you - it likely will be :-) whichever way you go - the ferry from Oban to Barra is quite a long trip on that time scale .

Harris is superb - i'd be inclined to go there (again) if i had limited time - its all amazing - and you will want to go back anyway.

Wild camping is a great way to go too if you are kitted up for it - makes everything more flexible and cheaper too - leaves more cash for meals out etc.

JAD

Veteran
I'm all booked for 4 of us June this year and have made the following plans: Arrive Ullapool on a Friday, B & B and they'll keep the car. Ferry Saturday to Stornoway. Ride to Butt of Lewis on Sunday. HebShuttle on Monday to Barra. This is the killer bit! If it's Billy no Mates it's £270, if it's Billy 3 Mates (who don't need to be named on the booking form?) it's £270 shared 4 ways. We will then cycle back to Stornoway for the ferry to Ullapool and our cars.

I did look at cycling both ways when it was just me, thinking accommodation would be less than the shuttle fare. I also looked at driving onto Skye and getting ferries from there to save a bit on the return leg. First to can't remember to the south and back from somewhere further north. Saves about 60 miles?

Good luck, John

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Hi John, hope you enjoy your trip.
I've arranged to meet up with @Burnie and his son at the Butt of Lewis and we are sharing the cost of the Hebshuttle back to Castlebay, as you say it speads the cost a bit. They are settting off a day or so before me so we won't meet until the end, but otherwise not sure I could have justified the cost of the shuttle on my own.
We are booked in for 3rd week in May, really looking forwards to it.

iandg

Legendary Member
Living in Stornoway I cycled down to Castlebay on day 1 and stayed overnight at Dunard Hostel (a 200km DIY audax).

On day 2 I left the hostel at about 5.20am, rode over to Vatersay and started the Hebridean Way at about 6am arriving at the Butt of Lewis at about 10.05pm. I had planned extra legs on the ride north (out and backs to Scalpay and Great Bernera) and to ride back from Ness to Stornoway totgive me a 400km DIY. The wind however 'did for me' and I arranged for my wife to collect me at Ness in the car - a benefit of living on the island.

The Heb Shuttle is a great service but as mentioned above 'expensive'

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Cycling back to Inverness you could leave the A835 and divert through Muir of Ord and Beauly. There are railway stations at Garve and Dingwall too so you maybe wouldn't need to cycle all the way back to Inverness.

The A835 Ullapool to Garve is a great road, and not 'too' busy once all the ferry traffic has passed.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
There is a council car park by Tesco where cars can be left for long periods - I have a friend who works off-shore and has a second car which he leaves in Ullapool on the weeks when he's not working.

Top Bottom