Hedge cutting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
@User9609 You might know about this, why are the farmers out cutting the hedgerows in August?
Usually allowed after the last weekend in August, which would be this coming weekend.

OP
OP
U

User6179

[QUOTE 5358865, member: 9609"]get the field side cut between harvest and planting - bolluxs with rules, anyway deeply confusing law 31st Aug, that 3 could just be an E , European law 1st Aug, thats what it means isnt it?

seen one cutting road-side the night, hawthorne as well, its like Russian roulette weaving between the debris. I got away with it though ^_^, adds excitement in-between the flat-to-the-mat grain lorries trying to get that bonus load in

and here's one I seen a couple of weeks back
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mundane-news.209575/post-5344060
just out for a drive about probably[/QUOTE]

Its the flat to the mat loggers near me trying to get the extra bonus load in, was the council today I saw cutting the hedges, on a cycle path that borders a field, 200 yards of thorns, just carried the bike for most of it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Its the flat to the mat loggers near me trying to get the extra bonus load in, was the council today I saw cutting the hedges, on a cycle path that borders a field, 200 yards of thorns, just carried the bike for most of it.
I agree with that. Part of a ride I enjoy includes a 2 mile loop down lanes. When they cut those hawthorn hedges I have to miss that stretch for a month or so......those thorny bits are lethal.

They are being cut now because most of the growth for the year has taken place and any nesting birds will have flown, even the ones with second broods.
To me it normally doesn't matter when they are cut, the problems are the same but this year it has coincided with the roads being top dressed.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Contractors out doing it here earlier this week. Nice of them to pick up all the prickly thorn debris. Not. If I'd still been old Bill they'd have damn well picked it up. Sadly, now I'm just old.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Riding C2C with a dozen kids 2 years ago and we passed a farmer flaying a hawthorne hedge. For the next mile the road was a mess of thorny trimmings and we ended up with seven punctures to fix.

classic33

Leg End Member
Indeed, and the council is the one that is meant to enforce the legal responsibility, so if they're doing the cutting and not clearing, that's a bit of a disgrace. Embarrass them into cleaning up if you can.
Why embarrass them?
There's a legal requirement to clear it after them. The person doing the work, not the landowner. If you don't report it, it will be assumed there's notbing wrong.

classic33

Leg End Member
Mentioned this in another thread. I think they're doing it early cos the corn's in early so they've got a bit of time on their hands.
The drier/warmer weather this year seems to have led to a fall in the number of nesting birds/"early departures" from the nests. So they may claim this as the reason they cut before the end of last month.

Winter feed is scarce this year, with fields that haven't been cut for a few years being cut. Some are trying a late second cut for silage following the rain last month, which led to a late growth.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Why embarrass them?
There's a legal requirement to clear it after them. The person doing the work, not the landowner. If you don't report it, it will be assumed there's notbing wrong.
I said if the council is cutting it, which is what @Eddy described in https://www.cyclechat.net/posts/5358875 . Has any council ever taken enforcement action against itself over not clearing up hedge cuttings?

Top Bottom