Heel on pedal V 109 % V angle of the knee

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roger Livesy

Your views on saddle height calculations

I used to ride on a version of inside leg X 109 % or less 10cm

However, I am getting older, stiffer, and more sedentary. A nagging back pain and groin pains have led me to doubt these formulas. Thus I have reverted to the traditional heel on pedal measure. So far the back pain has gone. I should add that I ve pelvic asymetry ie I have a dominant right side and a left side that's stiff and won't stretch like the right side. I once had a saddle with the left side more depressed than the right.

I wonder if any one else has revertred to the heel on pedal measure away from 109% formula. The difference, for me , is significant.

I've always used the heel on pedal (and knee above pedal spindle) set up for the initial settings, and then made very minor mods if required based on feel and past experience.

Chris James

Über Member
For me, heel on pedal measures exactly the same as 109% of inside leg.

Of course this depends on exactly how you measure inside leg (i.e. book between crotch or the difference in your height when sat down and standing).

02GF74

Über Member
heel on pedal too for me - namely since it works and wasn't aware of the 109% thing - sounds far too complicated.

Top Bottom