Heirlooms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

Not coming from a rich family, we nevertheless pass little heirlooms down the generations. I have a beautiful wooden box containing my grandads war medals that was given to me on his death when I was 10.
I'm staying with my mum tonight, following my dad's passing, as we were looking through his stuff, I discovered his old darts. They are massive chunky things compared to today's tungsten ones, the cane shafts look prehistoric. They are in a leather case my dad made himself.
15146793908261591363443.jpg

It's strange how these things are so evocative and hold so much meaning.

What are your little heirlooms?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've a typewriter my grandfather used in WW2. It's multi-lingual covering English, Spanish, French and German with slightly adapted keys.

I'm not sure what it was used for, and apparently my Dad was never told but he was posted overseas :blink:

OP
OP
U

User32269

I've a typewriter my grandfather used in WW2. It's multi-lingual covering English, Spanish, French and German with slightly adapted keys.

I'm not sure what it was used for, and apparently my Dad was never told but he was posted overseas :blink:
I'm sure it will come in useful some day!

OP
OP
U

User32269

There's a small leather wallet in the cupboard under the stairs with some of my mother's tools of the trade. She was a doctor for forty five years. They matter to me.
My dad made his dart case out of an old glasses case. The smell of the leather, which must have been impregnated by at least two generations of proper pubs, takes me back to having hair and wearing flares!

lutonloony

Über Member
I have two crystal tankards that belonged to my dad, I don't use them very often, but sometimes it just seems the right choice. Nothing from previous generations though

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have a Wedgewood jewellery set - pendant, ring, earrings for non pierced ears.
No idea why I keep them I had zero relationship worth mentioning with my parents, but I have kept them.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The only things i got from my dad's belongings when he died,was a shoe horn and a clothes airer. I'm not sure they qualify as heirlooms.
I'm not a sentimental person but I do have 2 wooden carved figures my late brother brought back from Zanzibar, way back when.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have a Wedgewood jewellery set - pendant, ring, earrings for non pierced ears.
No idea why I keep them I had zero relationship worth mentioning with my parents, but I have kept them.

That's a shame you had zero relationship with your parents for whatever reason , i couldn't do without mine and dread the day when one or both move on to the next world .

I have all ready staked a claim on a gold watch that dad got for 25 years service which must be about 50 yrs old now

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I have my Grandfathers clock on the mantlepiece. He bought it with his first civvy wage packet when he was demobbed in 1919. It survived an air raid in WW2 and has been in my possession since my Grandmother died in 1980. It's not in pristine condition, but it carries its scars with pride. It keeps good time and has a lovely mellow 'bong' on the hour and half hour. Memories of happy childhood holidays everytime I see and hear it. It will officially be an antique a year tomorrow.

Tommy2

Über Member
You can tell what sort of family members you have by what they grab from a deceased relatives house clearance.
My side all ask for small worthless items that bring back memories, I've got all my grandpa's Wilbur Smith books, some he had since before I was born, but a lot of them I bought him for birthdays and christmas when I was a child.

Always dubious of family that want 'that diamond ring, because it reminds me of her'!
To me the ring would have no monetary value anyway because I would never dream of selling it.

When my remaining grandmother dies I just know the vultures will be straight in stripping the house of anything valuable, not that there will be much as she isn't one for holding on to material things or money anyway.

Top Bottom