Heirlooms

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Sorry. I don't understand.
Google 'Citizen Kane'.;)

Sandra6

Veteran
Somewhere in my mother's posession are a string of pearls and a gold nibbed fountain pen that were given to me by my great-gran. She can never seem to find them when i ask, hopefully they'll turn up when she passes away herself.
I have my Nan's (dad's mum) nursing handbook from her time as a wren and an oxo tin, along with some ugly ornaments that just remind me of her.
My own heirloom is a clockwork santa that I've had for almost 40 years. I drag him out every year, but my children hate him so I doubt there'll be a fight for him after my funeral.

When I was about 3 my best friend had a toy barrow that we had great fun playing with. I thought it was the best thing ever and asked Santa to bring me one. Unbeknown to me my dad started to make me a barrow. He made the carcass and acquired a wheel from an old tricycle however the two parts never got put together. The barrow and wheel were consigned to the attic. When we moved house the barrow and wheel moved to the new attic.
When I was about 25 on Christmas morning I had the best surprise ever. My barrow was sitting under the tree filled with presents with wheel attached and painted.
It's of no value but something I will never part with.
When we cleared out my parents house we found the book he had used to get the instructions on making the barrow and also the rocking horse he made for my oldest brother.

You bastard! My eyes have gone all runny.........

Brace yourself Salad Dodger I've got another one.
When my brother was undergoing treatment for cancer he bought himself a one man tent with the intention of doing more hill walking when he got better. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be and when he realised he wasn't going to make it he told me he wanted me to have the tent because he thought it would be easy to carry on the bike.
I like to take the tent to as many different places as possible.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
IMG_20171231_173550.jpg
I regularly have a drink with my Dad even though it has been many years

Lullabelle

Banana
When my grandmother took ill she moved in with my folks so I helped to clear her house. In a box she had a watch, I commented on it being pretty and though no more about it. Gran passed away a couple of weeks later-the big C. Christmas that year my folks gave me gran's watch. She had very little money so financially worth very little but emotionally it is priceless.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Aforementioned remaining Grandmother passed away the other day so now the games begin with long lost relatives :sad:

I hope everything works out, without too much grief, (emotional and metaphorical).
Having had two funerals of relatives in the last couple of months, the most recent being Wednesday of this week, from some of the comments Mrs B and I were party to, we are grateful to be over 120 miles as the crow flies from some of the local "politics" of my generation and that of the one above me.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I have a UN Korean War medal of my dad's from his national service days,his old binoculars,his flat cap and his old big band cassette tapes. Nothing of my mum's really apart from a rolling pin,a cheese slicer and something else which i can't remember from my 'inheritance' :rolleyes: when she moved out her home to go into an old folks home. I also have an 1802 penny which was my grandma's and is worth about 3 quid because so many are still about.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
image.jpg
I have a row of 5 handmade Harris tweed teddies all with different clothing my late wife bought at trade prices to represent her Isle of Lewis uncles. Sadly she died before she got the last one. Probably quite valuable but I could never part with them. They will go to my son eventually and I am sure his wife will keep them.

Top Bottom