Helemt or not??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
sticky sherbert said:
Dondare said:
A helmet might save your life. Melanomas kill ten times as many people in the UK as cycle accidents.

So if I wear a helmet and stop cycling I will be realy safe, although I will then get fat and have heart disease! oh sh*t! shoot me now:sad:

Someone else can look this up if they want, but I believe that heart disease kills one thousand times more Britons than bike accidents. Not cycling is really much more dangerous than cycling, helmet or no helmet.

spindrift

"Every year we help thousands of people who have had their lives shattered as a result of being knocked off their bikes."

That's very naughty actually, the implication is that those ambivalent about helmets don't care about head injuries, which is chuffing hogwash. Then Lucy lies to bolster her case, she deserves a spanking.

Wraithand

Just to let you know I had an accident on/off my bike about twenty years ago and hit my head pretty hard, I was told by the doctor who saw me that because of how I landed a helmet would probably have caused me to break my neck!!
She was no expert, other than being a doctor, but I did not where a helmet for years, I know feel they are essential. I have cycled a lot and its not necessarily you, you should worry about but either motor vehicles or STUPID cyclists which are the worst problem of all. Bad roads don't help. I nearly always wear one and recommend them unreservedly.

Wraithand said:
Just to let you know I had an accident on/off my bike about twenty years ago and hit my head pretty hard, I was told by the doctor who saw me that because of how I landed a helmet would probably have caused me to break my neck!!
She was no expert, other than being a doctor, but I did not where a helmet for years, I know feel they are essential. I have cycled a lot and its not necessarily you, you should worry about but either motor vehicles or STUPID cyclists which are the worst problem of all. Bad roads don't help. I nearly always wear one and recommend them unreservedly.

I recommend the use of a dictionary unreservedly.

(pedant mode off)

hackbike 6

I cycled for 25 years without a helmet when I had hair and now that I haven't got much hair I prefer wearing a helmet.

I dont think people should be made to wear a helmet if they don't want to.

hackbike 6 said:
I cycled for 25 years without a helmet when I had hair and now that I haven't got much hair I prefer wearing a helmet.

I dont think people should be made to wear a helmet if they don't want to.

Indeed a long commute I will generally wear a helmet.

If a quick test drive, then I cannot be bothered...

But the choice should be ours, this country is becoming tooo much of a nanny state.

Adrian

Edit: Oh my hair length is similar to Velcro, short and sticky ;)

hackbike 6

I was out drinking one night about ten years ago and went to call on a mate.When I was looking up at his window I stumbled backwards and fell on the pavement and cracked my head open (well I was bleeding) off duty copper stopped me as he thought I had been in a fight.I resembled Terry Butcher in World Cup '86..I have never done that in 30+ years of cycling and long may it continue.That was a one of in 25 years of boozing though.

Wolf04

hackbike 6 said:
I was out drinking one night about ten years ago and went to call on a mate.When I was looking up at his window I stumbled backwards and fell on the pavement and cracked my head open (well I was bleeding) off duty copper stopped me as he thought I had been in a fight.I resembled Terry Butcher in World Cup '86..I have never done that in 30+ years of cycling and long may it continue.That was a one of in 25 years of boozing though.

So no helmets when cycling if we have hair but wear helmet if we are out on the p**s.
Works for me
:-)

yello

hackbike 6 said:

What! Not wearing a helmet causes hair loss!! At last, a REAL reason to wear one. If only some had told me years ago ;)

jonesy

Guru
linfordlunchbox said:

I wish that the likes of mjones would not rubbish the assertions of others in this debate in such a condescending way because it really does make them come across as arrogant twits.

I really don't think you are in a position to make complaints like that LLB...

I note that you haven't dealt with the substance of the argument either, which is the relevance of the experience with motorbike helmets to cycling. Other than having two wheels in common, cycling differs fundamentally from motorcycling in speed, type and cause of accidents, journey purpose and length, type of infrastructure on which journeys are made, age and other characteristics of users, attitudes of users and attitudes of other road users towards them etc etc.

In those places where cycle use is very high, the everyday short trips in normal clothing made round town by normal people are exactly the sort of trip that helmet laws are most likely to discourage. Helmet compulsion inevitably makes cycling less normal, less commonplace and keeps it the preserve of the enthusiast and longer distance cyclist; in other words keeps it as a minority mode of transport. Exactly, some might say, what the helmet compulsionists want to achieve...

Jaded

mjones, there's at least one more difference between bikes and motorbikes - the dynamics of crashes are totally different because in one the 'vehicle' is significantly heavier than in the other.

Top Bottom