Helemt or not??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Catrike UK said:
How about hair?

Dr Walker's research showed that motorists gave him the most room when he wore a long, blonde wig. So clearly the best protection that a cyclists can have is long blonde hair.

dondare

Über Member
But why not a wig?

Jaded

It should be compulsory to have Helmet Racks at the top and bottom of every staircase in the land.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This has rattled on hasn't it.....as expected 'eh... I'm not going to give any answers, only just why I wear one - my opinion, and a unique reason to do so........

I wear a helmet (skid lid as I call it)... a Phnumo - a good Giro helmet, well vented and stuff - light, etc....blah blah.........

I've had a fair few crashes, knock off's RTA's etc, and not one has involved my bonce, lucky yes, some broken bones etc.. The 'ole head doesn't bounce well, it's usually arm/collar bone that take it... so no case for a hat...

In these days of liability, had you been wiped off the tarmac without a hat, the legal folks that be.... will 'contribute' some liability to you for no lid.... - I'd rather my family after me benefit from my splatterings...

I wear a helmet as it helps keep my bonce cool - I sweat loads and without one, I'd use a band - aka saddo 80's person. As it goes, I use a thin skull cap that's made of wicking material, add in a well vented helmet.... and I can climb any mountain, commute etc, without sweat going into my eyes... cap soaks it up, helmet cools/evaps the sweat...me + happy !!!!

Easy...... that's it for me, 22 years of proper bike riding.......

LLB

Bokonon said:
No, but I am already a cyclist. Compulsion would, I think, decrease the number of people converting to cycling:

a) It would deter those that don't want to look like a mushroom headed cyclist.

;) At the bottom end of the scale a person can become a cyclist with the purchase of a £50 bike - adding £20 to this cost for a helmet is a significant percent increase in initial outlay which some people may not want to justify.

This argument doesn't hold water. It may have made a difference to motorcyclists for a few months when the law changed in 73, but time moves on, and all accept it now as part and parcel. The only people who do have an issue with them are cashiers as they seem to think you are wearing one solely to rob them ;)

jonesy

Guru
linfordlunchbox said:
This argument doesn't hold water. It may have made a difference to motorcyclists for a few months when the law changed in 73, but time moves on, and all accept it now as part and parcel. The only people who do have an issue with them are cashiers as they seem to think you are wearing one solely to rob them ;)

Yes, because bicycles are just motorbikes without the engine aren't they, so everything that applies to motorbikes applies equally to cycling.... :ohmy:

sticky sherbert

A helmet might save your life. Melanomas kill ten times as many people in the UK as cycle accidents.[/quote]

So if I wear a helmet and stop cycling I will be realy safe, although I will then get fat and have heart disease! oh sh*t! shoot me now:sad:

yello

There's something comforting about helmet debates. They're familiar conversations, a chance to repeat yourself. You know, like when you're in the pub with friends, you'll hear the same stories again and again, but you always smile and laugh as if it were the first time time because, well, they're your mates and that's what you do. Because, in all likelyhood, you do the same.

So; I rarely wear one but I'm completely cool with people that want to. I think I know the risks and I'm prepared to take them.

mjones said:
Yes, because bicycles are just motorbikes without the engine aren't they, so everything that applies to motorbikes applies equally to cycling.... ;)

Of course with speeds of greater that 12-15 mph we should be wearing motor cycle helmets so that we are gaining appropriate protection for the speed we are cycling at?

LLB

Cunobelin said:
Of course with speeds of greater that 12-15 mph we should be wearing motor cycle helmets so that we are gaining appropriate protection for the speed we are cycling at?

There are plenty of boasts on here of riders averaging 20mph and touching 30mph on the flat. I dropped a bike on the entry to a roundabout at 25mph a few years ago (on diesel) and the lid was buggered as a result after taking a direct impact. The visor mount was totally broken off on the one side and you could see the fibres inder the gel coat of the lid where it was ground away.

I'm not telling anyone they must wear one, but a bit of common sense will tell you that if your head impacts the ground it is going to make a mess.

I wish that the likes of mjones would not rubbish the assertions of others in this debate in such a condescending way because it really does make them come across as arrogant twits.

Perhaps some of the more scientificly minded on here could work out the impact forces behing a 15mph collision taken entirely on the temple by a 12 stone rider as this is where I landed when I came off ?

Top Bottom