Helemt or not??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Bugner said:
Surely using the pedestrian argument is farcical based on number of accidents compared to number of pedestrians!?

Having read the info in the link, some of the information gives food for thought, but it does seem that there is a bias towards not wearing.

But what I still can't understand is the emotions that arise from the debate and statements that wearing helmets puts people off riding bikes.

To those non helmet riders, would you stop riding if helmets were made compulsory??

There are more pedestrians and more pedestrian casualties so absolute numbers are no use in themselves. However, it is possible to work out how many accidents the average pedestrian has per mile and how many accidents the average cyclist has per mile and compare the two figures; and against all expectation cycling turns out to be safer. If you want to research this for yourself, feel free. If you want to think why pedestrians (how can they get run over on the footpath? I don't understand!) are more at risk than cyclists (in the road with traffic so bound to get killed) then just do that: think about it.
The reason why some people get cross about it is that we don't want compulsion, we don't want cycling to be regarded as a such dangerous activity that it requires protective clothing, we don't want cyclists who don't wear helmets as being seen by everyone as supremely selfish sociopaths who swamp the NHS with their self inflicted brain damage and we don't want motorists who can't be bothered to look where they're going to have a get-out clause if they kill someone.

Excuse me, I'm not in a good mood right now.

andyfromotley

i dont care what others do, as with rlj do what you think is best. Sometimes i do sometimes i dont, but i think its all very interesting, untill i apply the common sense test. Common sense tells me that it must be safer. I think those arguing against are doing so for a variety of reasons. But common sense tell me its safer.

andy

jonesy

Guru
Bugner said:
Surely using the pedestrian argument is farcical based on number of accidents compared to number of pedestrians!?

Having read the info in the link, some of the information gives food for thought, but it does seem that there is a bias towards not wearing.

But what I still can't understand is the emotions that arise from the debate and statements that wearing helmets puts people off riding bikes.

To those non helmet riders, would you stop riding if helmets were made compulsory??

As others have pointed out, the emotion arises because there is a very active lobby group in favour of compulsion, and most of us are in favour of free choice in the matter. I usually do wear one for my daily commute, but not when popping down to the local shop on quiet streets, or when heading off for a gentle ride on the local off-road cycle routes. Having to wear a helmet by law under all circumstances makes cycling that bit more inconvenient, and will put off the casual cyclist or potential cyclist.

If you haven't already done so I suggest you visit somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge where cycling is a normal mode of transport for getting round town. People ride their bikes between lectures, to work, to go out to the pub with their friends; they ride in normal clothes and aren't having a shower and change at the end of their fairly short trips. Having to wear a helmet will mess your hair up; something that doesn't particularly bother me but will deter a lot of people from those sort of journeys, especially women. Carrying a helmet round with you for a night out isn't going to be very convenient. These things all matter if you want cycling to be a normal mode of transport for normal people, rather than something restricted to enthusiasts or those making longer trips and expecting to have a wash and change of clothes etc at the end of it. In Australia cycle use went down when helmets were made compulsory; I fear the impact would be even worse in places like Oxford where helmets really aren't compatible with the sort of everyday cycling you see there.

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

Thanks for all the reasoned responses. as a newbie the 'common sense' helmets must be safer is my 1st thought, but there are some valid points against.

I have been commuting to London, 12 miles each way for a couple of months with helmet and had a couple of close shaves, might try a few trips without to see if drivers attitudes and actions differ!?!

jonesy

Guru
Bugner said:

I have been commuting to London, 12 miles each way for a couple of months with helmet and had a couple of close shaves, might try a few trips without to see if drivers attitudes and actions differ!?!

I'm not convinced that you will be able to assess that scientifically... if you prefer wearing a helmet then don't feel you need to defend that choice, or that you need to ride without to conform to perceived peer pressure. The point most of us are arguing is that helmets shouldn't be compulsory, not that they shouldn't be worn at all.

U

User169

Twenty Inch said:
Most people focus on the post-accident effects of a helmet. One of the most interesting studies of recent years is the 2006 Bath study that shows that motorists pass closer when the cyclist is wearing a helmet. In other words, helmets can make collisions more likely.

Indeed. The study also showed that if you dress as a tranny motorists give you plenty of room!

http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/archive/overtaking110906.html

Young Un

i wear a helmet:angry:

i would prefer not to but:
im a kid and my parents make me wear one as they knew someone who was seriously brain damaged by falling off his bike helmetless.
also i have to wear a helmet at the local cycling club, both on the rides and for the bike handling training, so i just put it on and cant wait to take it off.
mine makes me look like a complete d*ick but i still wear it. however i have riden a couple of times helmetless in anger and i love the wind in your hair and the sweat free forehead you get at the end of the ride

OP
OP
Bugner

Bugner

you are right I wouldn't be able to scientifically measure it, but would be interested on proximity of cars and overtaking manouveres compared to what I am used to. I am not bothered about wearing a helmet, but am interested in the difference it makes to attitudes and perception from those around me.

My initial post was trying to understand why the topic was so emotive to people and now through the responses I am beginning to understand the reasons why. Maybe in a few years I will be picketing and burning helmets:biggrin:

I must admit I enjoy being part of the cycling community, good to chat to other cyclists when commuting or going for a cycle at the weekend:biggrin:

I agree that it must be left to personal choice. We all have our own reasons. I lost a very good mate in a serious accident when a car side swiped him. He hit his head on the kerb and the life support machine was switched off two days later. I think it is very debatable whether a helmet would have made a difference but it is reason enough for me to wear mine.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Harrier said:
I agree that it must be left to personal choice. We all have our own reasons. I lost a very good mate in a serious accident when a car side swiped him. He hit his head on the kerb and the life support machine was switched off two days later. I think it is very debatable whether a helmet would have made a difference but it is reason enough for me to wear mine.

And that is exactly what happened with me. The *crack* noise of the helmet/my head hitting the kerb (1st) and road (2nd) was something I will never forget. I was so glad to have worn a helmet. I have read all these discussions, but it worked for me (IMO).

sticky sherbert

I've Just read the whole thread and am glad I did, having returned to cycling for the first time in many years I had started to feel like a bit of an outsider, of all the other cycle commuters I pass and greet each day I am the only one sans helmet. I have no issue with people who wear one but I do despise those who judge me for not, my safety is my own issue, In all aspects of Life! With an ever increasing reliance in 'safety equipment' people are loosing touch with instinct and common sense.
More importantly, it's the only chance I get to tan my bald head!!!!;)

shimano

I first got on a bike some 40 odd years ago and have crashed or fallen off umpteen times and have never hurt my head. Elbows, arms, knees, legs and hips bashed and scraped, skinned my palms and broken ribsxx( but no-one's ever suggested knee/elbow pads or leathers like a motorcyclist. OK I realise that a blow to the head can be extremely serious but until there's a better affordable alternative to the current lump of polystyrene which drives me crazy after 10 minutes I'll take my chances - although I do insist the kids wear theirs...:ohmy:

do as I say not as I do...;)

However I must say that IMHO that Bath study is twaddle as it seems to me motorists give me as wide a berth with or without a helmet - maybe they reckon I'd do more damage to the car than it would do to me - diet's got a long way to go...:tongue::ohmy::ohmy:

Top Bottom