Helicopter tape carbon bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am managed to get myself into the current century and get a carbon bike. I don't really want to put mudguards etc on it as I have a commuter.

What I am not sure about whether its worth wrapping the downtube and forks in clear tape and if so, which one.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What for?

S-Express

What I am not sure about whether its worth wrapping the downtube and forks in clear tape and if so, which one.
As above - why would you want to do that? Unless the frame is (un)finished in raw carbon, with no paint and/or no top coat - in which case, send it back.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Helicopter tape is more common on MTB's and often used on the underside of the down tube to prevent stone chips. I use it on my CX bike. It is less common on road bikes but I have seen it used.
Tesa helicopter tape is good.

wonderloaf

Veteran
As above - why would you want to do that? Unless the frame is (un)finished in raw carbon, with no paint and/or no top coat - in which case, send it back.
Why's that then?

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've got a Planet X Pro Carbon in black which I understand to be the raw carbon finish, aesthetics aside you're saying I should send it back or it's not fit for purpose?

S-Express

I've got a Planet X Pro Carbon in black which I understand to be the raw carbon finish, aesthetics aside you're saying I should send it back or it's not fit for purpose?
That just means the carbon weave is visible, it still has a clear coat over it. Not quite what I meant.

Top Bottom