Helicopter tape or Electrical tape for bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Midsrider

Hi all,

We have all bought new bikes in the family and with our old bikes after time, if it got marked or scratched, I repaired it if possible, or if it as just a little - i wouldn't bother.

Our new bikes I want to protect and we have 3 x frame bags (2 triangle and 1 top bar) and noticed some very small marks - so I want to protect this area where the velcro strap is.

The bikes are a Gloss finish - and I have seen Helicopter tape recommended on some videos, and some have said electrical take. - Any advice from you lot here? as the velcro is black, I have LOTs of electrical tape, but just hoping after time the tape does not peal the paint finish off...or same with helicopter tape.

Any advice will be appreciated on tape!!

Thanks all.

vickster

Legendary Member
Helicopter, not least it’s clear. You can buy strips on eBay for not much, don’t need a lot

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Helicopter, not least it’s clear. You can buy strips on eBay for not much, don’t need a lot

Thank you - do you take it off now and again to replace? or just leave it on?

I have my old saddle bag with my spares in - but finding now i need more to carry, bigger mobile phones, face masks, antibacterial hand gel, money for the kids! spare small back up lights (old days I just carried spare batteries!!)

All good fun !

Helicopter tape every time.
Make sure the surface is spotlessly clean and use a hair dryer to soften the tape before you put it on.
Another tip....never have square corners. They always lift a little and get black dirt underneath. Use scissors to round off the corners.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine usually ends up coming off under its own steam :rolleyes:
I don’t think a lightly applied hairdryer would burn paint :wacko: (assuming brining is actually burning)

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Mine usually ends up coming off under its own steam :rolleyes:
I don’t think a lightly applied hairdryer would burn paint :wacko: (assuming brining is actually burning)

Sorry ! I meant, if you need to use a hair dryer to bring the tape off, is there not a risk of the paint still pulling off if not enough heat is applied?

I have just ordered some of the tape - thanks all.

My helicopter tape isn't very flexible. Great for flat bits but for something like this - a frame bag - I'd put a few wraps of electrical tape around the top tube were it will be running. It will stand out - but frame bags aren't exactly subtle anyway.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

My helicopter tape isn't very flexible. Great for flat bits but for something like this - a frame bag - I'd put a few wraps of electrical tape around the top tube were it will be running. It will stand out - but frame bags aren't exactly subtle anyway.
So just electrical tape straight on the frame?.....reason i mentioned this as this kind of tape seems a little more user friendly and safer than the helicopter tape......i don't mind using it as it will be under the strap and just a small area either side - this does not effect the finish on the bike?

Thanks again everyone.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So just electrical tape straight on the frame?.....reason i mentioned this as this kind of tape seems a little more user friendly and safer than the helicopter tape......i don't mind using it as it will be under the strap and just a small area either side - this does not effect the finish on the bike?

Thanks again everyone.

Electrical tape works, but if you've got a big area to protect, heli tape is better as it's clear. As for removing it, the heat softens the glue and the tape will just peal off.

I use heli tape on my chain stays, cable rub areas and on the down tube of my MTB. I also have it on my seat stays on the MTB as I can occasionally get heal rub. Also along the sides of my top tube as shorts full of grit aren't kind on paint.

I've used electrical tape to protect the frame before putting mudguard eyes on. Paint was as good as new underneath. Presumably you'll be wrapping it round the top tube etc as the bag will rub on the top and sides of the tube?

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Thanks again everyone.
I would use electrical tape in the position you describe because as you say it's hidden, easy to apply and replace plus I always have some to hand.

I use helicopter tape on visible areas, the chain stay and cable rub areas. I never seem to know where my helicopter tape is........though I did stumble across some lurking in a drawer the other day. :laugh:

Never experienced a problem with either on the paintwork and this is something I'm very anal about! A bit of care when removing but that's all.

Top Bottom