Helicopters, all in a row.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ianrauk said:
I look out of my office window in Greenwich and I see this.

HMS Illustrious
3012941214_79303e5ac2.jpg

My Dad served on a previous incarnation of her. Amazing there was anything left after he'd crashed onto it a few times....

20.jpg

gavintc

Guru
thomas said:
hmm, I don't know, but I've got a helicopter pad outside my UNI room. Helicopters have landed there, but I'm not really sure why we need one :biggrin:.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.619807,1.237027&spn=0.000782,0.002414&t=h&z=19

Looking at the your google link, I would suggest it is an altenate landing site for the local hospital. It is quite possible that the one at the hospital is not good in a wind from a particular direction (perhaps NW) and the one at the uni is more protected. Or perhaps your uni is trying to attract very well heeled students.

levad

Veteran
We have a helipad at our place of work. It is for the boss and his important visitors. In the time I have been here we have had a Navy Sea King helicopter visit (huge huge thing) and the Dutch Air Force Helicopter display team.

Will1985

Über Member
gavintc said:
Looking at the your google link, I would suggest it is an altenate landing site for the local hospital. It is quite possible that the one at the hospital is not good in a wind from a particular direction (perhaps NW) and the one at the uni is more protected. Or perhaps your uni is trying to attract very well heeled students.
AFAIK there is no hospital connection. The alternative NNUH site which I've seen used before is on the sports fields NW of the hospital.

The old hospital in the centre usually used the playing fields at my sister's old school to land and then it was a 2 minute burn up the road in an ambulance.

thomas

the tank engine
Will1985 said:
AFAIK there is no hospital connection. The alternative NNUH site which I've seen used before is on the sports fields NW of the hospital.

The old hospital in the centre usually used the playing fields at my sister's old school to land and then it was a 2 minute burn up the road in an ambulance.

The only helicopters I've seen on it were not medical ones. Not quite sure of it's purpose.

Whats the difference between a Fleet Air Arm pilot and a Helicopter?

The Helicopter stops whining when it lands!

Top Bottom