Helicopters and commentators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

I’m on about stage 5 of Tour of Britain (‘live’ but recorded). Thinking back to day 1 I so felt more part of the race when the helicopter was grounded and it was motorbike cameras only.
I appreciate helicopters have their place but my preference would be the ‘occasional’ helicopter shot and mainly coverage from on the road.

Also enjoying the Tour of Britain far more than the Vuelta. I do wonder how much that has to do with the commentators/production?

I enjoyed the tour of britain more this year than i have for a while, strangely though , i couldnt say why ?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Are any small drones smart enough to fly close to the riders without causing a problem?
The better drones have some amazing capabilities. The DC Rainmaker website tests them from time to time. He’s a triathlete who’s also extremely well respected with regards to the impartiality and depth of his reviews of various bits of sports technology. Some of the drones will automatically track you keeping a set distance and also avoiding trees and other obstacles. The BBC are using drones for filming, far far cheaper than using a Helicopter for those aerial shots.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

The better drones have some amazing capabilities. The DC Rainmaker website tests them from time to time. He’s a triathlete who’s also extremely well respected with regards to the impartiality and depth of his reviews of various bits of sports technology. Some of the drones will automatically track you keeping a set distance and also avoiding trees and other obstacles. The BBC are using drones for filming, far far cheaper than using a Helicopter for those aerial shots.
Terminator is not so far down the road! (not meaning the nickname of a cyclist, if one happens to have it!!).

Didn't think much of the coverage.
For someone like me who has only a vague interest in/knowledge of the intricacies of pro racing one of the attractions of the thing is seeing the places the event goes through - it is after all supposed to be the bleedin Tour of Britain.
But usually I didn't have a damn clue where they were, and I rather suspected the commentators didn't either, obsessed with their figures etc. They only rarely mentioned a place, some very attractive. I stress that I'm not after a tourist guide - all they had to do was plonk a discreet bit of text at the bottom of the screen as they powered through places. Seems to me they were missing a trick. Don't they want viewers for the advertisers?

drones would be good - as long as they have the endurance.
When batteries get a bit better we might see the motorbikes keeping further ahead - or even behind - and the passenger controlling a drone. Hence no problem with having to prevent the cyclist drafting and no problem having to try to keep up with them downhill round turns

Maybe

Didn't think much of the coverage.
For someone like me who has only a vague interest in/knowledge of the intricacies of pro racing one of the attractions of the thing is seeing the places the event goes through - it is after all supposed to be the bleedin Tour of Britain.
But usually I didn't have a damn clue where they were, and I rather suspected the commentators didn't either, obsessed with their figures etc. They only rarely mentioned a place, some very attractive. I stress that I'm not after a tourist guide - all they had to do was plonk a discreet bit of text at the bottom of the screen as they powered through places. Seems to me they were missing a trick. Don't they want viewers for the advertisers?

The French helicopter pilots seem to be a cut above others when it comes to lining up the perfect shot to show off their country to the world.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/07/how-helicopters-bring-us-amazing-views-of-the-tour-de-france/

Last edited:
The French helicopter pilots seem to be a cut above others when it comes to lining up the perfect shot to show off their country to the world.
Yep - if the coverage was sold abroad it didn't do a great deal to plug us for visitors - I remember some of the Tour de Yorkshire made it look glorious, which it quite possibly is.
Apart from the coverage, the event did look weedy compared to the Tour or Giro - no great razzmatazz/decorations/welcomes at places it went through, and very few spectators most of the time, even in places where you would have expected them.

Yep - if the coverage was sold abroad it didn't do a great deal to plug us for visitors - I remember some of the Tour de Yorkshire made it look glorious, which it quite possibly is.
Apart from the coverage, the event did look weedy compared to the Tour or Giro - no great razzmatazz/decorations/welcomes at places it went through, and very few spectators most of the time, even in places where you would have expected them.
You didn't see the Devon stages ? Looked gorgeous. As did the North Wales one to be fair.
Sunshine makes anywhere look great.
If it's throwing it down - you'll have a hard time making it look good.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

You didn't see the Devon stages ? Looked gorgeous. As did the North Wales one to be fair.
Sunshine makes anywhere look great.
If it's throwing it down - you'll have a hard time making it look good.
Perception is an amazing thing; I too saw big crowds (not much field art granted). The muted (or is it respectful?) behaviour as the riders go past always makes me smile.

Top Bottom