Helinox chair zero/ one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
Helinox not heliocentric!!!!! Autocorrect has so much to answer. Has anyone any experience of these and would you recommend either of them? Camping far more on my tours now and sitting while cooking etc appeals. At the moment I use small foam pad. I would have to put up with the extra weight so do the benefits out weigh ( pun intended) this. If I lose a couple of pounds the status quo would be retained.
Ps if anyone knows how to change the title of the thread I’d appreciate it.found it!!!

Last edited:
I have the Go Outdoors OEX version and I'd absolutely recommend them. Well worth the extra weight and space

RobinS

Veteran
We bought £30 Chinese versions off Ebay a few years ago, they have survived multiple 3 month tours and still going strong. We wouldn't want to tour without them now.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
And I have this
https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Alite-Mayfly-2-0-Chair-sku52321001.asp
In inclement weather you can sit in the tent without the feet piercing the groundsheet.
I also use one of those, for the same reason, but it's a non-starter, as it's out of stock everywhere, and no longer listed on the Alite website.
[edit: it seems that ultralightoutdoorgear have them]

I think that carrying a similar chair is usually worth the weight.
The problem with the Helinox One is that the feet will sink into soft grass, and you can lose the foot when you pull the leg out of the ground if you aren't careful. This problem is solvable with a fabric floor between the legs like the OEX version, castor cups, or rubber walking stick ferrules.

The alternative to a separate chair is a chair kit for your sleeping mat (available for most brands), which would generally be lighter. Disadvantages are that it's ground level, and there's the chance that you could puncture the mat by putting it on a thistle, not having checked everywhere as well as where put pitched the tent.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've been using a backrest seat for years, very light.

5041082-BK000.jpg

You can adjust the angle by tightening/loosening the straps and it simply folds flat to transport it. With having no legs it's obviously OK to use inside the tent too. Cost around the £15 mark

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
I've been using a backrest seat for years, very light.

View attachment 461253

You can adjust the angle by tightening/loosening the straps and it simply folds flat to transport it. With having no legs it's obviously OK to use inside the tent too. Cost around the £15 mark
These are about 40cm by 40 cm, does it fit in your panniers? Not sure it would in mine but very light weight.

Crankarm

Guru
I have an Ailite chair but is the slightly larger one than the Mayfly with a slightly higher back but still very compact and light, less than 1 kg. Not sure if it is available any more. It is a work of art in terms of the aircraft grade aluminium machined tubing. I think it cost about £120. I also have a much cheaper Vango chair along similar collapsible lines which is very good and weighs 1.1kg iirc. It is very comfortable having a high back to recline into and it is easy to fall asleep in after a long day in the saddle. It might be hazardous though as you could have fallen asleep in the chair outside your tent and be eaten alive by mosses. The Helinox One chair might be preferable as it has a much lower back not really suited to reclining back although you can a little.

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The Alite Mayfly and chairkit mentioned upthread are great, but low if you have issues getting up or down. My oldest daughter who is very tall has had a little moan at me.
In which case you should use a Helinox Chair One or similar, and put up with it being too high to use inside the tent.

Plus one for the Chinese copies, paid twenty five quid each for ours fives years ago and still going strong, wouldn't be without them when touring now.

As for the feet sinking into soft ground, try popping the lid of a packet of Pringles (or similar) under each leg.

I also use one of those, for the same reason, but it's a non-starter, as it's out of stock everywhere, and no longer listed on the Alite website.
[edit: it seems that ultralightoutdoorgear have them]

The MAyfly is still available here too - https://webshop.fietsvakantiewinkel.nl/trekkerstoeltjes/alite-mayfly.html

I have one and really like it. It's safe for use on the groundsheet of the tent. Reasonably stable. Can become a rocker by removing the front support. It is a bit low, but that suits me as I can sit and cook.

The alternative to a separate chair is a chair kit for your sleeping mat (available for most brands), which would generally be lighter. Disadvantages are that it's ground level, and there's the chance that you could puncture the mat by putting it on a thistle, not having checked everywhere as well as where put pitched the tent.

I have one that I used for a while. Like you say, it is ground level. Puncture risk is higher, especially when the ground is less than perfect. I didn't want to use mine on wet ground - ironically the time I would want it the most. And it's a faff to break down at night, only to put back together in the morning (if you want it).

OP
OP
Ice2911

Ice2911

Über Member
Plus one for the Chinese copies, paid twenty five quid each for ours fives years ago and still going strong, wouldn't be without them when touring now.

As for the feet sinking into soft ground, try popping the lid of a packet of Pringles (or similar) under each leg.
I like your style and a good excuse to eat pringles :smile:

Top Bottom