Hello all from Lancashire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My VERY successful answer to the issue some years ago (before I started to lose my eyesight) was an Islabike. LOVED it and it fitted me but I sadly sold it when there seemed to be little-to-no prospect of regaining sufficient eyesight to ever use it again.
Does it not annoy you enormously when sellers - even reputable retailers who you would think would know better - assure you with confidence that 'oh yes it'll fit you!' when you so much as mention your undertallness issue, and yet they oh-so-conveniently can't tell you what the reach is - and the darned thing has 170cm cranks anyway … I'm well aware I have to accept compromises now (hence the folder for storage issues and the 'e' bit for the achilles tendon and knee issues (both on the same side fortunately - old ski injuries) but I still need to be able to reach the pedals and handlebars and that seems to come as a surprise to some retailers! Hey ho, at least if I'm on a bike I'm not getting even smaller by wearing down the soles of my feet as I walk!

I did look at Islabikes back when searching for a road bike, but sadly the budget didn't stretch quite that far. Which is why I bought a Wiggins instead. Don't regret it, the Rouen is a lovely bike. As is the Chartres hybrid, which I bought subsequently. Alas, they've since changed the spec and colour scheme on the Wiggins bikes, and they're not such an attractive buy now, which is a right shame.

Tell me about crank length though... Trying to find a touring crankset for the Raleigh build was an absolute nightmare (why oh why are some junior bikes fitted with components made of cheese?) but Spa Cycles to the rescue, as you can specify crank length on their sets, which is brilliant. They go down to 155mm on their cranks, and I think they do even shorter junior-specific ones too.

And it's not just the reach, but the straddle height as well. That's the big one for me. I mean it's perfectly feasible to ride a bike that's a little bit too big, but things do get more than just a tad painful if you misjudge a junction. DAMHIKT. :blush:

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
I did look at Islabikes back when searching for a road bike, but sadly the budget didn't stretch quite that far. Which is why I bought a Wiggins instead. Don't regret it, the Rouen is a lovely bike. As is the Chartres hybrid, which I bought subsequently. Alas, they've since changed the spec and colour scheme on the Wiggins bikes, and they're not such an attractive buy now, which is a right shame.

Tell me about crank length though... Trying to find a touring crankset for the Raleigh build was an absolute nightmare (why oh why are some junior bikes fitted with components made of cheese?) but Spa Cycles to the rescue, as you can specify crank length on their sets, which is brilliant. They go down to 155mm on their cranks, and I think they do even shorter junior-specific ones too.

And it's not just the reach, but the straddle height as well. That's the big one for me. I mean it's perfectly feasible to ride a bike that's a little bit too big, but things do get more than just a tad painful if you misjudge a junction. DAMHIKT. :blush:

Well with my tendon issues it has to be step-through all the way for me now, so straddle height, at least, is no longer a concern … but yes, OUCH!

postman

Legendary Member
Greeting from a Yorkshire man with connections to Goosnargh.And at six foot four I cannot help with smaller bikes.

Toe Clip

Hi and welcome. I too am from the Red Rose County although living in the forgotten part of East Lancashire where God put hills and more hills.

Top Bottom