Hello all from Lancashire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello there, I'm KnittyNorah, in Lancashire.
I'm an old, old woman who used to be a keen leisure/pleasure cyclist (ran in the family!) until I started to lose my eyesight a few years ago. I've been having nigh-miraculous surgery all through last years lockdowns and have finally been cleared to get back on my, or rather, a bike …
I've made the decision to buy an e-folder - having lost a lot of fitness and exacerbated a few very old skiing injuries during my years of deteriorating vision - and also because sadly, I sold my beloved Islabike which actually fitted me so now I have a right old battle on my hands to find something that can be made to approximately fit me as I am under 5ft tall - and already in my mid 70s am only likely to be getting smaller not taller. I'm looking for something between £1,000 and £2,000 and I am under no illusions at all as to the quality of the build and ride I'm likely to get, or the weight of the thing, but hey ho, it has to be better than Shanks's Pony! Would love to hear from others who've found themselves on the middle range of e-folders through necessity and who've previously had experience of quality bikes in their younger, fitter days ...

Chris S

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Sharky

Guru
Can't help with choosing a bike, but it's great to read a post in a Lancashire accent.

Welcome to cycle chat from an ex Lancs member (Eccleston Lane Ends.) At least it was Lancashire until they gave us a Mersey postcode.

Hello there, I'm KnittyNorah, in Lancashire.
I'm an old, old woman who used to be a keen leisure/pleasure cyclist (ran in the family!) until I started to lose my eyesight a few years ago. I've been having nigh-miraculous surgery all through last years lockdowns and have finally been cleared to get back on my, or rather, a bike …
I've made the decision to buy an e-folder - having lost a lot of fitness and exacerbated a few very old skiing injuries during my years of deteriorating vision - and also because sadly, I sold my beloved Islabike which actually fitted me so now I have a right old battle on my hands to find something that can be made to approximately fit me as I am under 5ft tall - and already in my mid 70s am only likely to be getting smaller not taller. I'm looking for something between £1,000 and £2,000 and I am under no illusions at all as to the quality of the build and ride I'm likely to get, or the weight of the thing, but hey ho, it has to be better than Shanks's Pony! Would love to hear from others who've found themselves on the middle range of e-folders through necessity and who've previously had experience of quality bikes in their younger, fitter days ...

Hello from deepest, darkest Cambridgeshire :hello:

Can't help you with the e-folder, I'm afraid, but as a lady of petite stature, I've gone through the exact same malarkey trying to find suitable bikes to ride. I've ended up with two Wiggins bikes (a roadie and a hybrid) and a junior Raleigh mountain bike that I built up from a bare frame.

Hi and welcome! Can't help you with petite ebike bike options as 6ft 4ins and know nothing about ebikes, but this is the place to be for some excellent advice. Good luck with finding something that suits ^_^

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Hello from deepest, darkest Cambridgeshire :hello:

Can't help you with the e-folder, I'm afraid, but as a lady of petite stature, I've gone through the exact same malarkey trying to find suitable bikes to ride. I've ended up with two Wiggins bikes (a roadie and a hybrid) and a junior Raleigh mountain bike that I built up from a bare frame.

My VERY successful answer to the issue some years ago (before I started to lose my eyesight) was an Islabike. LOVED it and it fitted me but I sadly sold it when there seemed to be little-to-no prospect of regaining sufficient eyesight to ever use it again.
Does it not annoy you enormously when sellers - even reputable retailers who you would think would know better - assure you with confidence that 'oh yes it'll fit you!' when you so much as mention your undertallness issue, and yet they oh-so-conveniently can't tell you what the reach is - and the darned thing has 170cm cranks anyway … I'm well aware I have to accept compromises now (hence the folder for storage issues and the 'e' bit for the achilles tendon and knee issues (both on the same side fortunately - old ski injuries) but I still need to be able to reach the pedals and handlebars and that seems to come as a surprise to some retailers! Hey ho, at least if I'm on a bike I'm not getting even smaller by wearing down the soles of my feet as I walk!

OP
OP
K

KnittyNorah

Über Member
Can't help with choosing a bike, but it's great to read a post in a Lancashire accent.

Welcome to cycle chat from an ex Lancs member (Eccleston Lane Ends.) At least it was Lancashire until they gave us a Mersey postcode.
'Fraid I don't have a Lancashire accent, sorry - although I was born in Lancashire (although it's not Lancashire now), I only came to live in Lancs by accident, after retiring! I was born and raised on the edge of the Peak District and have spent most of my adult life working all over the world, so any accent I ever had is long gone, more's the pity. But thanks for the welcome, anyway.

Top Bottom