Hello all. What a great site!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Hi all. Just wanted to say thanks for such a great site. I am thinking of buying a road bike and have been reading the forums for a couple of weeks - what an absolute gold mine of info, reviews, and advice it is. Really friendly too; on the newbie forum everyone is welcoming with no patronising or snarky comments.

I am not even sure I will commit to buying a bike as I'm a bit daunted by the traffic round here, but I am really enjoying reading the forums and the enthusiasm is contagious.

Update: in the end I bought a 2007/8 Giant TCR C3 carbon road bike from Shpock. Very happy with it. So light and fast. Pedal twice and it goes around around 200 yds. Haven't used the gears yet, but once I take the stabilizers off I think it will really shift.

Last edited:

otek59

Hi, welcome

On a bike you are also traffic. This is something that the rest of the traffic has to accept. That's how I look at it anyway.
Cycle Craft by John Franklin gives good detailed information on how to tackle all sorts of road situations.

johnblack

Über Member
Hi all. Just wanted to say thanks for such a great site. I am thinking of buying a road bike and have been reading the forums for a couple of weeks - what an absolute gold mine of info, reviews, and advice it is. Really friendly too; on the newbie forum everyone is welcoming with no patronising or snarky comments.

I am not even sure I will commit to buying a bike as I'm a bit daunted by the traffic round here, but I am really enjoying reading the forums and the enthusiasm is contagious.
Hopefully you're not to far from quieter roads, aim for them and get your confidence up, traffic is a pain, but it is something you get used to. I still avoid it as much as I can.

Harry1

Regular

Hi AuroraSaab, it's a shame that the traffic is putting you off cycling. Maybe you could start on quieter and wider roads? Or maybe try somewhere nicer / quieter? I used to take our family cycling along our local canal for example.

Harry

OP
OP
A

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Thanks, Harry and all. I have indeed been cycling round the quieter roads and along the canal a bit. I just need to get my confidence back after getting on a bike after 30 years, and getting used to a new bike. I am planning to use the main roads early on a weekend for a bit until I get used to them.

OP
OP
A

AuroraSaab

Veteran
This is my bike by the way. It's a Giant TCR C3, 2009. Bought used from Shpock. Can't believe how light and fast it is.
5cf8b63c7f9d233996c49342.jpeg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome. Getting back on a bike can be a bit daunting especially if you haven't ridden for a long time. Just take things steady and go at your own pace. Have fun and good luck.:welcome:

tom73

Guru
Nice bike look's great :okay:
Slow and steady is the way. Early morning rides are a good move I did that when I started and still head out early on weekend rides.
You see much more when it'd just you and your bike.
Enjoy the fun ;)

Top Bottom