Hello All

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeow

Hello All. I am new to cycling I am looking forward to joining the fourm:smile:

I am looking for a bike I have been told a Pinarello is the best bike.

I am looking to start cycling as I am looking to keep fit overall and also looking for meets around the Swadlincote way in Derbyshire. I am looking to start as my day job is very stressful and I think cycling is a great way to keep fit/ relieve stress and interact with new individuals who both share the hobby equally. I think owning a bike beats the gym more fun and less people staring or I would hope depending on my riding ability. :biggrin: I would be very grateful if anybody could point me in the direction on the fourm/groups for Swadlincote/ Overseal/ Burton/ - Derbyshire cyclists or close to that area.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello and welcome!
You are right about cycling being a stress reliever.
Dunno about the interaction: all I get is other cyclists saying a quick hi while overtaking me :smile:

OP
OP
J

jeow

Budget? Experience? I know you say your new to cycling, but does that mean you can ride a bike, and if so what bikes have you ridden previously?

Gotta ask ask all the Q's so folk can try and point you in the right direction :thumbsup:

O - I can ride a bike done bmx when miles younger and can ride no problems. Just a newbie to road cycling.
The budget just a few thousand. I like your attention to detail Smokey:smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Welcome to CC from Newhall :smile:
With regards to a "best" bike once you get over a certain price point imho they are much of a muchness, certainly they have different traits based on frame geometry, materials, wheels , bike fit etc but none are what you might call a bad bike .I think pinarello`s are of course enjoying a tremendous following due to sky`s success and they are not bikes but you are best to try a few bikes for size and feel before discounting any brand.
If you are looking for riding partners then cycling buddy is a good site ..

http://www.cyclingbuddy.com/
I ride with mercia CC that meet at Burton town hall every Sunday and we have 3 levels of ride dependent on your level of fitness, the "slow" and "medium" groups have a no drop policy so you will not be left behind, check the link underneath my mileage counter for more information.They also have a variety of rides and social events in the week as well.
As a mercia member we also get a discount at Lloyd's cycles and i have found their advice and service to be excellent.
If you have any questions feel free to ask away as you will find everyone here is a friendly bunch and your more than welcome to pick my brains oro go for a ride i will try and squeeze you in between work and kids :smile:

OP
OP
J

jeow

With regards to a "best" bike once you get over a certain price point imho they are much of a muchness, certainly they have different traits based on frame geometry, materials, wheels , bike fit etc but none are what you might call a bad bike .I think pinarello`s are of course enjoying a tremendous following due to sky`s success and they are not bikes but you are best to try a few bikes for size and feel before discounting any brand.

I ride with mercia CC that meet at Burton town hall every Sunday and we have 3 levels of ride dependent on your level of fitness, the "slow" and "medium" groups have a no drop policy so you will not be left behind, check the link underneath my mileage counter for more information.They also have a variety of rides and social events in the week as well.
As a mercia member we also get a discount at Lloyd's cycles and i have found their advice and service to be excellent.
If you have any questions feel free to ask away as you will find everyone here is a friendly bunch and your more than welcome to pick my brains oro go for a ride i will try and squeeze you in between work and kids :smile:

Hello. I have a good fitness/ health level and huge amounts of energy. I do not know where the energy comes from sometimes.

The budget just a few thousand.
:eek: I wish I'd had a similar budget to yours when I got back into cycling ^_^

Is it wise to blow such a wad on a 'first' bike at this stage? Would you not consider buying something less er, exotic, but also easily re-saleable?

That way if you get bitten by the bug you can easily upgrade, whereas if you hate it, (it does happen, honestly), then you will likely end up very out of pocket.

Very little depreciates quite like a bike IME.

OP
OP
J

jeow

Do you ride past Linton village? massive amounts of you go past my house allot.

OP
OP
J

jeow

:eek: I wish I'd had a similar budget to yours when I got back into cycling ^_^

Is it wise to blow such a wad on a 'first' bike at this stage? Would you not consider buying something less er, exotic, but also re-saleable?

That way if you get bitten by the bug you can easily upgrade, whereas if you hate it, (it does happen, honestly), then you will likely end up very out of pocket.

Very little depreciates quite like a bike IME.

Well. I am open to suggestions for biking manufacturers. I am 6.3.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
O - I can ride a bike done bmx when miles younger and can ride no problems. Just a newbie to road cycling.
The budget just a few thousand. I like your attention to detail Smokey:smile:
As smokey has said it is a good idea to work out what sort of riding you want to do and although its great that you can spend a couple of thousand it might be better idea to look at lower priced bikes as you can get really good bikes for a lot less and maybe look to upgrade components if you decide you really enjoy cycling .
Of course if you can afford it go for it !!!

Top Bottom