Hello and advice Brighouse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jacqui

Hi

I am signed up to cycle from London to Paris in Septmber and have been cycling every other day or so between 8 to 15 ish miles for the last 3 months.

I am worried that I am not getting to do any longer distances for a variety of reasons.

Afraid on very busy roads .
A bit worried about going too far away from home on my own
A couple of friends have been out for short rides but time consuming for them to do longer ones.

I have done Brighouse to Sowerbybridge lots of times now but could do with pushing on futher as this would increase the mileage but reluctant to jopin a club as would be the slowest hence the London to Paris even being a real challenge .

I thought about combining the shorter circuits I do ( one round clifton and heartshead , one to halifax and back along the canal ) or even repeating a circuit several times though that might get boring .

If any one has any ideas in the Brighouse / surrounding area that would be much appreciated or if anyone has to the London to Paris and can offer me assurance that the hills will be nore worse as those around here.

many thanks

jacqui.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Jacqui - welcome to CycleChat.

A month ago, new CC member Steve H from Brighouse posted in this thread about starting cycling. On that thread we discussed him riding to Hebden Bridge or even as far as Todmorden or Littleborough along the canal towpath. It might be worth getting in touch with him.

I'd also suggest that you get in touch with either Halifax CTC or Huddersfield CTC. They are friendly people who do nice rides, lots of cafe stops and would happy to advise and support you in getting more confident on your bike. I doubt that speed would be an issue if you told them that you were new to cycling.

I know what you mean about busy roads. I'll do them if I have to, but I like to get up onto the quieter hilltop roads as quickly as I can.

I've never ridden from London to Paris but I'd be very surprised indeed if you encountered hills as tough as some of the ones round here!

BearPear

Veteran
Hi Jacqui, welcome to the forum.

There is the Calder Valley Cycle Way in your area, I got a copy in the Piece Hall Tourist Info centre, and they have copies in Hebden Bridge too. It runs from just above Todmorden down (or up) to Sowerby Bridge, I think it's 20km or so. I have done the Hebden to Sowerby route and back - very poorly signposted, you need the map in your pocket. You can do sections there & back and build up to doing the entire route there & back. It is mainly off road on designated cycle paths, some canal path and a little on quiet roads.

No doubt Colin will be along soon, he's from Hebden Bridge and although he does many more miles than I do, he will know what's best near you. You suffer from mega hills in your neck of the woods - I'm over the hill in Cullingworth, near Keighley, and my hills are pimples compared to yours!

Good luck with the London to Paris!

Clare

OP
OP
J

Jacqui

Thanks Colin Thanks Clare .

I will try and get over to the tourist information and get a map I did look on the Calderdale web site but the map is fairly poor so hopefully they have a better one .

I thought about maybe taking the train to Todmorden and cycling back for the first time then I can go there and back the next time.

The Brighouse - Sowerby Bridge bit has been surfaced so is very easy .

Thanks for flagging up Steves thread I will wait a day or two and see if he replies here and if not get in touch .

A guy who passed me a few weeks ago gave me a contact for the Halifax group but I would worry about being so slow . The joggers not only pass me going up hill but for the firstfew outings going down as well.

Thanks again for your replies.

Jacqui

ColinJ

BearPear said:
No doubt Colin will be along soon, he's from Hebden Bridge and although he does many more miles than I do, he will know what's best near you.
How's that for a coincidence! :smile:

BearPear said:
I'm over the hill in Cullingworth, near Keighley, and my hills are pimples compared to yours!
You haven't explored enough then because some of the hills around Keighley are as big as the ones between here and Brighouse. Cock Hill (Oxenhope Moor) is straight up the road from Cullingworth/Keighley and is one of the biggest hills round here.

BearPear

Veteran
Risking hijacking Jacqui's thread here but, yeah I know that hill! Apparently there's a worse one coming out of Goose Eye, Mr BP says it's the only one that nearly beats him! I have mentioned previously that me & my granny gear are best buddies, there's no shame in spinning it uphill!

ColinJ

Jacqui - are you okay going down steep hills? If so, I could suggest an interesting ride for you though you might prefer to persuade Steve H or somebody else to accompany you since you'd end up 6 miles out in the wilds at one point!

ColinJ

BearPear said:
Risking hijacking Jacqui's thread here but, yeah I know that hill! Apparently there's a worse one coming out of Goose Eye, Mr BP says it's the only one that nearly beats him! I have mentioned previously that me & my granny gear are best buddies, there's no shame in spinning it uphill!
Oh, the old Goose Eye grovel - yes, I discovered that one nearly 20 years ago!

If he likes a challenge, tell Mr BP to come over here some time and have a go at the Mytholm Steeps climb starting at Church Lane just off the A646. If he survives that, to come back down, head back into Hebden Bridge, turn right just before the co-op and then right again up Horsehold Road. It's possible to ride on up through the hamlet of Horsehold another km or so to get the best views but it only leads to bridleways and farm tracks so unless on a mountain bike, he'd then have to turn round and come back down the way he went up. I've never tried that one on my road bike - it's hard enough on my MTB!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Jacqui said:
Hi

Afraid on very busy roads .
A bit worried about going too far away from home on my own

jacqui.

Hi Jaqui

Regarding the above, knowledge is safety. May I recommend you read 'Cyclecraft' by Franklin, pub: HMSO Books.
This is the Bible for staying alive and having confidence on the roads.

Good luck with the training. Enter some local Charity day rides, these are good motivation and are well supported if you start to suffer.

BearPear

Veteran
Another vote here for Cyclecraft - I came back to cycling last year and it was recommended to me too. It gives you helpful advice about riding safely and with confidence on the roads.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Jacqui, the problem in your area is that there's a limited choice of roads by virtue of the geography and the roads you do have tend to be quite busy thanks to the high population densities along the valley bottoms. ColinJ will guide you over towards the more agricultural and less crowded areas of Lancashire and the Forest of Bowland if you'll allow him. He knows a couple of decent cafes as well! Rides with other cyclists will teach you new routes and give you confidence. Don't allow them to do all the route-finding though or you'll never learn!

OP
OP
J

Jacqui

That thanks everyone I am glad I found this mb.

I will check Amazon for the book sounds like just what I need.

The roads are very busy I live on the main road so have to go on it to get anywhere . It has a cycle lane on both sids but this is filled with parked cars for the most part.

I hope I haven't set myself an impossible target by signing up for September I know it will be challenging.

Thanks again.

jacqui

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hi Jacqi

If you get a chance nip along to Pedalsport at King Cross, Halifax. They have a club which meets on Tuesdays at 7pm and has a beginners/social section. They do road runs lasting a couple of hours, and Mike, the guy who supervises the "sociable" group, is very friendly. The group will ride at the pace of the slowest, absolutely no pressure, trust me.

Huddersfield Club also do a Sunday morning beginners ride, and that might suit.

Otherwise Kirklees publish as book containing loads of bike rides from mainly Huddersfield start points, from 5 up to 20 miles. I'll see if I can't dig out my copy and I'll PM you.

PM me if you're really stuck, but there are loads of good rides in the area. It sounds like you have the hills sewn up anyway!

OP
OP
J

Jacqui

Thanks . I don't drive so would have to cycle tp the start so probably not a bad thing .

Almost 24 miles this morning ( if my computer thingy is right ) . Clifton to Robertown and Heartshead then down along the canal to Sowerby bridge and back.

Not sure I have the hills sewn up just huff and puff lots . I have also joined a gym ( first time ever ) to try and improve my overall fitness . I cycle there and back both ways include what i think are fairly steep hills but what is steep to me might not be to others.

jacqui

Top Bottom