Hello and Advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaidoMilo

Hi newcomer here. I have been doing a bit on and off for a while now. Perhaps 25 k distance per ride max. I am 56 years old and my mate 15 years junior has put us in for a 100K sportive in 2 weeks. Have I got a chance as time is now limited to train,or should I drop down to the the 60K ride?. PS I am riding a hybrid.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It'll be challenging IMO. When you say time to train is now limited, how limited? I think you'd need to do another 25k, then at least one 50 (ideally two) and at least one 80k to be reasonably confident of finishing the 100k. You may be able to jump straight in and do the 100k with no problems, but it will always feel nicer to know you can do an 80 and only the last hour or two (depending on how hilly it is!) is new to you.

And is there much of a time limit for getting around the 100k? Can you switch to the 60k on the day? Usually I think you can, although you don't get any difference in entry fee back. You might possibly even be able to switch as late as when you reach the 100/60 course split.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. What’s the route like? Lots of hills or mainly flat? That’s the burning question, if the former you might struggle unless you get some serious training in between now and then. I’ve never done a Sportive but if you can get some rest stops in you might be OK.

Good luck.

OP
OP
MaidoMilo

MaidoMilo

Hi Thanks for the welcome yeah there are hills and I have only 2 weeks training remaining .....may opt for the 60 k route.

I did a 130km ride a couple of years ago off the back of previous longest rides that year being 20-30km - but having said that I do 100km + each week commuting and I rode it much slower than I would usually commute.

So if you're doing 25km several times a week already its probably do-able if you take it steady.

Top Bottom