Hello and help: Manchester to Greece, inland route.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MotherofZachary
Agreed! I would not wish to dampen your enthusiasm but would add a word of caution regarding the non -cycling part of the trip.
I met and cycled for some distance in Cornwall/Devon with a guy who was training for a sponsored LEJOG. He was cycling to support a national charity and was booked up to meet various volunteers or officials of the charity at fixed times along his route. We spoke onthe 'phone a few weeks later and he had found the mental stress quite exhausting which ruined the enjoyment of the physical challenge he had looked forward to.
Thank you, good advice I'm sure, although it is the mental aspects that I am most looking forward to rather than the physical :laugh:

Thank you, I have never done this before, but do have many friends that have. Yes, logistics are really important, I will have made contact with local groups in advance and have a press officer to arrange some details, but am already building the forum and database for maintaining contacts. It will be a burden, but then that's the focus for my ride, so an essential one. I have decided to extend the time for my journey in order to accommodate that.
The group will be forming as a result of the press campaign and will form soon, it will be hugely emotionally challenging for everyone involved, my role as a Psychologist should help with this, and the support will be mutual, it is open to all females that have experienced bereavement from suicide or substance use.
I have plans to get the bike fitted to me as closely as possible. Thanks for the tips on cycle maps etc. most helpful x

I can't begin to imagine the challenge ahead of you. You have my very best wishes.

From a purely practical point of view, if I'm undestanding correctly, you are currently in Greece, and will travel to the UK, pick up the bike and cycle back? If I have that correctly, then I would strongly advise you to take a few days around Manchester riding the bike fully loaded to make sure that it is well set up for you before you depart. A few hours on the bike repeated over 2 or 3 days will highlight quickly anything that needs to be changed. Much easier to have it done there by people who know you than people on the road. On a long trip like yours small irritations can become injuries quickly. Give yourself the best chance of success!

OP
OP
MotherofZachary
I can't begin to imagine the challenge ahead of you. You have my very best wishes.

From a purely practical point of view, if I'm undestanding correctly, you are currently in Greece, and will travel to the UK, pick up the bike and cycle back? If I have that correctly, then I would strongly advise you to take a few days around Manchester riding the bike fully loaded to make sure that it is well set up for you before you depart. A few hours on the bike repeated over 2 or 3 days will highlight quickly anything that needs to be changed. Much easier to have it done there by people who know you than people on the road. On a long trip like yours small irritations can become injuries quickly. Give yourself the best chance of success!
Absolutely! I have built this into my timetable, besides I have twin daughters living there so will be great to spend a little time with them first too.

Top Bottom