Hello Ducky Bye Bye Google

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've given it a try a couple of times. It doesn't do the predictive search term that Google does but it does have definitions of your search at the top. It'll take some getting used to. Then again though I can remember when Google first came along, we were all still using Yahoo or AskJeeves.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I think Google is OK they are pretty open and straight forward with what they do, they have also brought companys and open sourced the products such as codecs, they also sponsor a large number of open source and community products. Sure they are a company and do business but I still feel like they want to improve the web experience. The company which should be feared along with the user terms is Facebook, now that is evil imho

Herr-B

Didn't Google get done for something to do with Google Map. V ?

Yeah, they were 'accidentally' collecting WiFi data as they went. Contravened a few countries laws but seemingly not ours in the UK. :angry:

From dog and bone, using Tapatalk2.

Octet

Veteran
Yeah, they were 'accidentally' collecting WiFi data as they went. Contravened a few countries laws but seemingly not ours in the UK.

Guernsey got a bit of a payback though, people here cut the cables on the cameras...
I obviously don't condone vandalism, but it did stop them from collecting the data :whistle:

I've switched away from the majority of large companies and proprietary software to open source software such as Firefox, and now to Ducky :biggrin:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's not the adds I object to but more the censorship and privacy intrusions.
The only way to make money out of a massive database of people's internet habits is to indulge in a little light privacy intrusion. And the only way to operate a successful internet business in rather a large number of countries around the world is to accept a little light censorship.

Our own delightful government has been known to propose censorship of the internet...

Octet

Veteran
I've been using Duck, Duck, Go for the past day and I have to say I don't really like it that much. I find that I don't get anything useful and all it does is locate page with the odd word that I search for.
I also find that the majority of top pages are shopping pages, I think I shall be sticking with Google...

It did make me appreciate the complexity of their [Google] search algorithms though :tongue:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Guernsey got a bit of a payback though, people here cut the cables on the cameras...
I obviously don't condone vandalism, but it did stop them from collecting the data :whistle:

I've switched away from the majority of large companies and proprietary software to open source software such as Firefox, and now to Ducky :biggrin:

Approximately 85% of Mozilla’s revenue comes from Google due to the deal in place to make Google the default search engine. A large proportion of the Java and HTML5 engine comes courtesy from code contributions made by Google. The fact is without donations of both financial and code from the likes of AOL and Google the Mozilla corporation would not exist today.
You think you have switched away but in reality large companies still have fingers in all your pies ;)

Octet

Veteran
Approximately 85% of Mozilla’s revenue comes from Google due to the deal in place to make Google the default search engine. A large proportion of the Java and HTML5 engine comes courtesy from code contributions made by Google. The fact is without donations of both financial and code from the likes of AOL and Google the Mozilla corporation would not exist today.
You think you have switched away but in reality large companies still have fingers in all your pies ;)

I suppose, you can never get away from praying eyes.

And your final comment, 'You think you have switched away but in reality large companies still have fingers in all your pies', - American Pie (1999), Warm Apple Pie Scene might be more appropriate.

byegad

Legendary Member
I stopped using Google when they started selling 'user details. So Utube and all their other products went the journey too.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I stopped using Google when they started selling 'user details. So Utube and all their other products went the journey too.
How much do you pay per search for the search engine that doesn't sell user details?

Top Bottom