Hello everyone im new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Hi all, this seems like the friendliest forum to be in so iv joined up incase I get any (prob daft to you) questions or probs:biggrin:
I got a bike a month ago after not having ridden one since my Chopper when I was small(!)and am getting completely hooked, im LOVING it!!! I wanted to start cycling to get fit, and to strengthen my legs for my horse riding and blimey-im feeling the results quicker than I expected:ohmy: I usually do about 7 miles a day Mon-Fri, and then between 18 and 28 miles on Sat&again on Sun, with some hills in there too-is this a fairly worthwhile amount for a beginner??? I read about some of you who think nothing of doing 100 miles and honestly think that would kill me!!!!! And how soon can I expect to see a difference in my figure,dont really need to lose weight but want to firm up everywhere:blush:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello there xx(

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Lisa21 said:
I usually do about 7 miles a day Mon-Fri, and then between 18 and 28 miles on Sat&again on Sun

In North Wales? that's certainly a worthwhile amount. It's not just about how far along you go, there's upwards too.

Just build up mileage as you feel like it. If you can do 28 miles then a 50 miler is within reach. Then there's a metric century (100 km, 62.5 miles-ish).

OP
OP
Lisa21

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Wow thanx for that-thats very encouraging:biggrin: At first ANY hill was a killer but I was determined not to get off and push so I would stop when I just couldnt pedal any further,count to ten and off id go again!!!!! Im now realising that I dont stop nearly as often (once or twice instead of about 6 times!:blush: and it all seems to be feeling a bit easier! Did 19.1 miles today but its so windy here that If id have stopped pedalling id have gone backwards!!! And I HATE riding in the wind:evil:dont suppose theres any tips to make it easier?(apart from stay in and eat chocolate!)
Also, I try and stay in a low gear for as long as i can-is that the best way to get fit/tone up or is being in a high gear and peddaling like a madwoman better? Or does it make no difference? (I did apologise in advance for any daft questions):laugh:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
You may find resources such as http://www.calculatenow.biz/health/heart.php and http://www.cptips.com/hrmntr.htm useful idea about the different training zones if you got a cheap heart rate monitor. The lower training zones work on "fat burning" and aerobic aspects, higher intensity works on different things.

Everybody is different. I prefer to stay in a lower gear and spin faster. As long as you aren't doing anything totally wrong like 30-45 rpm do whatever works for you. If you have the muscles from horse riding spinning slightly slower e.g. 85rpm in a bigger gear might work better than 100rpm in a lower gear.

As for cycling in the wind, I don't have any tips, but if you've been out in any of the winds the last few weeks I don't think you'll have too many problems :blush:.

OP
OP
Lisa21

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Thanx Marinyork, ill check out those links after tea. Went out in REALLY bad winds last week and managed to do ten miles without stopping but then nearly fell over when I got off back home:biggrin: Thank God summer's on its way!:blush:

yello

l o lisa.

Stay in whatever gear is comfortable for you. Certainly don't stay in any gear to the point of discomfort (either legs/knees or breathing/heart rate)! Use the gears you have, it's what they are there for!

Any questions, ask away! You'll get lots of different answers, some that'll even make sense!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Hi lisa :welcome:to the forum well done on the mileage. I hate hills but the only way I have found to get them sussed is just to keep doing them and as you say you stop less and less. I have been doing a lot of riding over the moors which involves a lot of hills for the last coupe of weeks, I then went for a ride from harrogate to selby and back via york last week, which is quite flat in comparison, and I couldn't belive the speed difference from the last time I did it I was flying along with a big grin on my face so I guess the hills did me some good.

I was looking firward to get out this weekend but I am stuck in bed with a cold at the moment so it looks like I won't get in the monthly mileage I wanted to :blush:

Anyway keep up the good work and I am sure you will be zooming up them hills in no time.

grhm

Veteran
Welcome. That's some good miles your doing there. One point I would make though is are you having rest days? Some insist that resting and giving the body a chance to repair and strengthen itself will pay huge dividends.

I don't know, but doing the longer rides on Sat and Sun I'd struggle to do 7 miles every day during the week - and you may too after a while (once it catches up with you).

I don't however know what your limits are, and what works for you. Just something to consider.

Top Bottom