Hello everyone im new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lisa21

Lisa21

Mooching.............
GRHM, I said I did the miles, I never said I didnt struggle..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:
Think you make sense about rest days tho,I recently heared that somewhere else and think ill do it-i dont have a very active job but ride horses a couple of times a week too so maybe give myself a couple of days "off" to recover!!! :smile:

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi liza :smile: you will gets loads of good advice from the nice folks on here ...congrats on your mileage but dont do to much build up slowly

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Lisa21 said:
Also, I try and stay in a low gear for as long as i can-is that the best way to get fit/tone up or is being in a high gear and peddaling like a madwoman better? Or does it make no difference? (I did apologise in advance for any daft questions):smile:

Welcome - and that is good milage for a beginner.

As to how fast you pedal - it is a bit of what you feel comfortable with. But you shouldn't be aiming to push hard on the pedals - its bad for your knees. A high gear is not when you are peddling like a madwoman - thats a low gear, when your feet are going around lots and you aren't going quite so far forward.

Another way of explaining it is that if you are pushing hard in a high gear (big ring at the front), you are like the sprinter and build muscles like the sprinter - BIG thighs. If you are turning the pedals very fast, but not much effort each time (low gear - small ring at the front) you are like a marathon runner - note the difference in build. Its probably not quite that simple but I know which thighs I would rather have!!! So I use the whole range of gears, but not putting too much effort (that doens't sound right) in each turn of the pedals.

(Somebody out there must be able to word this better than me:blush:)

just4fun

Landslide said:
Once you're hooked, the figure at the bottom of your bank statement will soon be red and prefixed by a minus sign.:tongue:

:angry: Landslide is right!

:smile: to the forums and i think your doing really really well with the distances. In regards to the wind, the only thing i have found helpfull is wearing lycra cycling gear as it offers less wind resistance than normal clothing.
I got hammered last week by the wind on the way to work because the uniform i wear is inappropriate for cycling. I felt like a flippin kite!
I would also recommend rock climbing which is very good for toning up. sadly nowdays me being toned is just a memory :biggrin:

OP
OP
Lisa21

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Summerdays, that was very helpful-iv now got a better idea of what I should be doing as I DEFINITELY dont want thunder thighs, heehee!!!:tongue:

I tend to wear tightish clothing when riding, either leggings or my jodpurs(!) and I wear a helmet too tho i know not everyone sees their point.I didnt really either but after Natasha Richardson died after a "minor" head bump skiing id rather look a bit silly than risk anything.
Iv also ridden in my riding hat when i was cycling to my horse.....that got me some odd looks!!!!:laugh:

As for rock climbing........im FAR too muck of a wuss for that im afraid:ohmy:

Thanks so much for all your advice and welcomes tho, this seems a nice forum-some of the others I looked at seem a bit snotty! xxx

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hi all, this seems like the friendliest forum to be in so iv joined up incase I get any (prob daft to you) questions or probs:biggrin:
I got a bike a month ago after not having ridden one since my Chopper when I was small(!)and am getting completely hooked, im LOVING it!!! I wanted to start cycling to get fit, and to strengthen my legs for my horse riding and blimey-im feeling the results quicker than I expected:ohmy: I usually do about 7 miles a day Mon-Fri, and then between 18 and 28 miles on Sat&again on Sun, with some hills in there too-is this a fairly worthwhile amount for a beginner??? I read about some of you who think nothing of doing 100 miles and honestly think that would kill me!!!!! And how soon can I expect to see a difference in my figure,dont really need to lose weight but want to firm up everywhere:blush:

As part of 'Operation get more posts', I have to say..... Welcome!! :laugh:

OP
OP
Lisa21

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Flippin heck MDB......talk about a ressurection:laugh:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi
I went from Horses to a bike ^_^ and never looked back. Bikes don't need mucking out at 5am before work either. Your mileage sounds very respectable for a beginner. You are certainly riding more than I am at the moment too. I hate riding in the rain and wind!

What just4fun said about rock climbing is very true. You have got the Beacon Climbing wall (indoor) in N wales, a very nice wall it is too. If its toning you are after, climbing is the way to go :smile:

Keep up the good cycling work, you sound like you are doing really well.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hi
I went from Horses to a bike ^_^ and never looked back. Bikes don't need mucking out at 5am before work either. Your mileage sounds very respectable for a beginner. You are certainly riding more than I am at the moment too. I hate riding in the rain and wind!

What just4fun said about rock climbing is very true. You have got the Beacon Climbing wall (indoor) in N wales, a very nice wall it is too. If its toning you are after, climbing is the way to go :smile:

Keep up the good cycling work, you sound like you are doing really well.

I never even bothered to read her message, I just said hello and moved on! :laugh:

Top Bottom