Hello, everyone!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porkchop057

Nice to meet you!

I just joined this forum because I have a few questions and would like some opinions.

My husband and I have had the idea to take up bike riding just as a way to be more active and to have something to do when we go camping. Because of my horrible balance and extreme height deficiency (I'm 4'8") I am considering getting a trike instead. As a bonus, we take our (small) dog camping and the basket would give me a way to ride her with us.

But where do I even get a trike without spending a bajillion dollars? Does single speed or multi speed make a big difference? I'll be on pavement, but surely there will be some hills. I struggle with a normal 24" bike, but 20" just seems way to small (can only imagine trying to pedal those tiny wheels) - is size more flexible with a trike?

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice to meet you too and welcome. I would have thought a trike would take up too much space unless you have a large vehicle. If you can overcome your balance problems a folder would be the best solution.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Try searching ebay for Adult Pashley tricycles. You should find one from about £100 - £400.
But trikes take a bit of getting used to. True it addresses any balance issues, but they need a learned skill to steer and how you are going to transport it on/in the car needs to be thought out.

hi and welcome , trike riding can be fun , and it attracts more attention than a bike , we use a pair of trikes as car replacements when we go on holiday , in fact we use then all the time , it's no good getting old without getting wise.
We use a pair of electric assist tadpole trikes and have towed with them , as to transportation , they make a folding trike but you are talking money again , we build our own , If your other half can weld you can always consider building your own from plans .See my threads in the recumbent forum .
regards Emma

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got one of these,
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ricycle.aspx&usg=AOvVaw2GuV7nABoEHnwfCS5l4Gxl

However I've modified it a bit to this.

trike 001.JPG

One snag is you'd need a Van or a trailer to transport it

Sharky

Guru
One snag is you'd need a Van or a trailer to transport it

I have an upright tandem trike, which is a bit longer and when it was being actively used with my daughter, we solved the transportation issue by using three ladder bars. We did have a long estate car with parallel ladder rails and I used two ladder bars close together at the rear and a single bar as far forward as I could. It took two people to lift it onto the roof and the rear wheels sat comfortable and securely on the two rear rails and the front wheel rested on the leading ladder bar. A few quick release toe straps secured the wheels and made it all very secure.

OP
OP
P

porkchop057

hi and welcome , trike riding can be fun , and it attracts more attention than a bike , we use a pair of trikes as car replacements when we go on holiday , in fact we use then all the time , it's no good getting old without getting wise.

That's kind of what I'm going for, is when we go camping just being able to ride our bikes all over the park instead of driving, walking is usually too slow. I'm only in my 30s, but the last time I rode a bike I fell 4 times and almost took out 3 pedestrians and had near collisions with several moving vehicles. It was not pretty lol. Even as a kid it was kind of hard for me. I think I would use it more if it was less scary and I was able to take my dog with me.

OP
OP
P

porkchop057

So a roof rack wouldn't do? I have an SUV with racks across it (left to right, not front to back) - I had kind of figured being on 3 wheels it could be pretty well secured... should I rethink that??

Top Bottom