Hello fellow athletes!! I’m New here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
An epiphany. Trainer Road for me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I haven't done a lot with turbo trainers, except for one particular winter. My 15 year relationship had broken down that November and I felt like either drinking myself to death, or getting fit - I chose life!

I did a whole winter of ridiculously hard turbo training. By 'ridiculously hard' I mean being unable to walk upstairs for post-training baths - I had to crawl up on hands and knees! Still, it did the job - I lost over 2 stone in weight and must have virtually doubled my power output. By the following summer I was fitter than I had ever been before (or since).

That was a boring old 'dumb' turbo trainer though and I had worked through my angst so I couldn't face it again the following winter. If intending to really get into it now, I would get a smart model and actually enjoy the torture!

If you just want to keep reasonably fit, 3 or 4 sessions a week of about 45 minutes would do the job nicely without having to bust a gut.

OP
OP
The happy cyclist
I have used past couple if years to kick start the season. Once the longer days and warm weather arrives I like being outside. They are great for structure and fitness but get a smart trainer to make it more interesting.
Ya the weather is starting to change for the worse here in Ireland so I’ll be thinking about moving indoors for the winter! Not that I’m afraid of the rain or the cold! It’s the cars I’m more fearful of to be honest

OP
OP
The happy cyclist
I haven't done a lot with turbo trainers, except for one particular winter. My 15 year relationship had broken down that November and I felt like either drinking myself to death, or getting fit - I chose life!

I did a whole winter of ridiculously hard turbo training. By 'ridiculously hard' I mean being unable to walk upstairs for post-training baths - I had to crawl up on hands and knees! Still, it did the job - I lost over 2 stone in weight and must have virtually doubled my power output. By the following summer I was fitter than I had ever been before (or since).

That was a boring old 'dumb' turbo trainer though and I had worked through my angst so I couldn't face it again the following winter. If intending to really get into it now, I would get a smart model and actually enjoy the torture!

If you just want to keep reasonably fit, 3 or 4 sessions a week of about 45 minutes would do the job nicely without having to bust a gut.
Well done on making the correct decision!! It must have been a tough time! But as they say everything happens for a reason!!
Thanks for your advice on the turbo trainers I’m leaning towards the kinetic rock n roll it looks like it could be less monotonous and it’s reasonably priced too

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was wondering how unfit anyone would have to be for me to look like an athlete when standing next to them. Dead and buried probably...
I had thoughts like that when my consultant referred to me as an "elite athlete"! He must have been so used to dealing with people who are horrendously ill/unfit that someone who could trundle 100 miles over a few big hills must have seemed quite a big deal. :whistle:

I had thoughts like that when my consultant referred to me as an "elite athlete"! He must have been so used to dealing with people who are horrendously ill/unfit that someone who could trundle 100 miles over a few big hills must have seemed quite a big deal. :whistle:

I recently made the mistake of saying I'd lead a group going to the annual summer outing. I'm really not that fit, but I forgot that my clients include many ex (or not) alcoholics and most smoke like a chimney.

At the top of the first hill we had to have a pause while we waited for the coughing to stop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom