Hello from a large rider in Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aBear87

Regular
Hi all.

My names Andy. I'm a big guy and have took to cycling to lose some weight.

Did 8.2 miles today in just short of an hour.

Looking for motivation and answers for any questions that may come up :smile:

I do have one issue at the moment. My hands during a ride begin to cramp between my thumb and finger. The only way I can get rid of the pain is the hold the outside of the handlebar. Like palm the end and grip it that way. Any suggestions ?

Thanks

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome to the forum from powys. Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but someone will come along who can help you. Good luck

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome:
Try adjusting the handlebars so that they are nearer to you: worked for me, but your bike might be different.
Others with more knowledge will come along shortly :thumbsup:

buggi

Bird Saviour
hello. I had that to begin with, took a while to go and did hurt even off the bike but it does eventually go. Felt like I'd really overstretched the hand between my thumb and forefinger and hurt even if i picked up a heavy book. Both hands. Try padded gloves and keep changing hand position. If you have straight handlebars you can buy bar ends so you can change the hand position. Drop handlebars are handy as there are lots of ways to put your hands. Unfortunately it did take a few months for me but it did eventually go as my hands strengthened. padded gloves help, also if you have drops another layer of tape or padding underneath the tape may help.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I do have one issue at the moment. My hands during a ride begin to cramp between my thumb and finger. The only way I can get rid of the pain is the hold the outside of the handlebar. Like palm the end and grip it that way. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Hi Andy :smile:

I take it this is a flat handlebar bike? You could be gripping too tight, keep the hands relaxed. I get the same if I'm out for a road ride on my MTB. You could also fit some bar ends to allow a change of hand position .

Padded gloves can help but they aren't a magic bullet for this.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Hi all.

Thanks
Hi Andy. My name is also Andy. I am also originally from Birmingham. I am also a big guy (6'5" and 20st). I may be your alter ego, as I've been cycling for about 5 1/2 years now, and have quite unintentionally ended up covering the distance from Land's End to John O'Groats 10 times over, and have recently conquered my first Alp. So as to providing motivation, please believe me when I tell you that there is absolutely no limit on where or how far you will quite soon be able to ride if you keep at it. As the song goes, "Keep right on 'til the end of the road".
It hasn't made me an ounce lighter, but a lot of the lard seems to have turned to muscle, and at the age of 53 I'm feeling the fittest I've ever been. (There's one for my obituary next week!). I have done it by treating every local hill as my own personal Alpe d'Huez to be beaten, and by tagging along with mates who are all a bit stronger than me. Mass participation charity rides are also a great experience and a good way to keep challenging yourself. There seem to be quite a few rather big CycleChat regulars out there doing way more impressive stuff than me - see the replies to my earlier thread "Am I Britain's biggest audaxer?).
As to your cramps, my best advice would be to speak to the man in your local bike shop. If he's worth his salt, he'll put you right. You will find that there are some really knowledgeable and helpful regulars on this site who may also be able to help, but first you'll need to tell them a bit more about what kind of bike you are riding. Good luck to you Andy.

OP
OP
A

aBear87

Regular
Thanks for all the replies.

It is a straight handlebar, ill stick with it for now and see if its just the muscles in my hand need toughening up. I'll also try to be more relaxed on the bike. being as heavy as I am I feel abit vulnerable on the bike so probably am gripping too hard.

Andy that's a great accomplishment. This week I've managed 16 miles and not feeling too soar or in pain at the moment. Just trying to eat good things and get out on the bike when I can.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Andy.

Well done getting back on the bike. Sounds like you've made a reasonable start and you'll be able to go further and faster the more rides you get under your belt.:thumbsup:

I'll put in another vote for bar ends - I find these very helpful, particularly on longer rides.

I'd also recommend a pair of fingerless gloves - they may or may not help with the cramp, but something I found out the hard way is that if you are unfortunate enough to fall off, the instinct is to put your hands out to save yourself - not good on stone surfaces.:headshake:

Hi all.

Thanks

I'd make sure you're not holding the bars too much, but also maybe check your seat and bars are set correctly.
I grip the bar ends in the same manner, but mainly when I'm tucking down for building speed.

But great going, and welcome! Cycling is an amazing sport, and personally speaking, has seen me drop from 7xl clothes (35+ stone to 23.5 stone) to 2xl in just over a year.

OP
OP
A

aBear87

Regular
I'd make sure you're not holding the bars too much, but also maybe check your seat and bars are set correctly.
I grip the bar ends in the same manner, but mainly when I'm tucking down for building speed.

But great going, and welcome! Cycling is an amazing sport, and personally speaking, has seen me drop from 7xl clothes (35+ stone to 23.5 stone) to 2xl in just over a year.

That's great Rob !

I haven't weighed myself for a while but im around the 25stone mark, probably more !

Just got back from a 7.6mile ride ! gonna give my arse a day off tomorrow !

Encephrich

Hi Andy and welcome, motivation & plenty of answers abound in the forums, if you can't find what your looking for just post it up and someone will help :smile: :welcome:

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi Andy and thats also a +1 on the bar ends from me and also maybe some gel grips ! these did the trick for my team rider ( thats the other half) who could not go more than about 2 miles before her hands did the same.Now the questions you may have noted that anything you ask is usualy answered so again that should not cause problems,motivation well all I will say is I used to be a 22 st. 10lbs chain smokeing slob (yes I now call my former self a fat slob) who was killing himself ! developed sleep apneoa because of it and was advised by the hospital to start somekind of exercise or die !!! so considered jogging no bl**dy fear running is for total emergencies only,swimming when yer that fat you just don't look good in budgie smugglers lol, so along can a bicycle a cheap and cheerful pre owned (thats posh for second hand) mtb and well now 14st ish sold car cycle everywhere and bu**er me loving every second of it,so get on that bike and ride ! Oh and also don't worry yourself if after a little while you start to want nice shiny new bits and bobs for you stead and ones bank balance starts to dip a little fear not this is quite normal for cyclist's to do this lol.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Oh and also don't worry yourself if after a little while you start to want nice shiny new bits and bobs for you stead and ones bank balance starts to dip a little fear not this is quite normal for cyclist's to do this lol.
Tell me about it :biggrin:

I was getting overweight before I started riding, just didn't realise how much until 6 months later and all my clothes didn't fit anymore!

Top Bottom