Hello from a Manchester Newbie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Exile

Hi all. Been lurking around here for a few weeks now and decided you all seem like a nice enough bunch so plucked up the courage to join.

I've just starting to get back into the saddle after over a decade and a half away. Given I'm only a few years past my quarter century that was well and truly half a lifetime ago and it shows! Right now I'm finding just how out of shape working behind a desk for a decade has left me, so slowly working on upping the miles whilst trying to convince my legs they haven't suddenly turned to jelly.

Currently pootling around Manchester on a cheap hardtail, so if you spot a fat bloke on a silver MTB crawling along at 5 mph, or stood at the side of the road gasping for breath, give me a wave as you pass. ^_^

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Hi all. Been lurking around here for a few weeks now and decided you all seem like a nice enough bunch so plucked up the courage to join.

I've just starting to get back into the saddle after over a decade and a half away. Given I'm only a few years past my quarter century that was well and truly half a lifetime ago and it shows! Right now I'm finding just how out of shape working behind a desk for a decade has left me, so slowly working on upping the miles whilst trying to convince my legs they haven't suddenly turned to jelly.

Currently pootling around Manchester on a cheap hardtail, so if you spot a fat bloke on a silver MTB crawling along at 5 mph, or stood at the side of the road gasping for breath, give me a wave as you pass. ^_^

:welcome: just keep those wheels going round at whatever speed suits you. It doesn't take long for those miles to pass quicker, just enjoy the ride along the way and as im sure you have seen there's plenty of laughs here oh ..... and cake :laugh:

Well done for getting back on the bike...Keep it up and you'll soon be watching the miles fly by...or at least trundle past for the first few months!

OP
OP
E

Exile

Thanks for the warm welcome :smile:

I'm definitely going to keep the wheels spinning and the miles ticking over, I can only get better from here and, truth be told, even when I'm so exhausted I have to stop and wheel the bike along for a while it's still a huge amount of fun.

Right now it's all about squeezing in a half hour here and an hour or so there, especially as I tend to get odd little bits of free time cropping up throughout the week. Luckily I'm close enough to some nice quiet parks and canal paths that even on a short twenty minute ride I can see more than just half a dozen taxis and the backside of a bus!

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi Exile and welcome in a very short time you will look back at this post and go I am going faster than further than etc. It may seem a million miles away just now but just wait for that day when you overtake another slower cyclist oh yes my friend it will happen lol. Now the bit that someone must tell you about and well it's your bank account this cycling surely can empty it, should you feel the need to visit your LBC ( local bike shop) leave only enough in your pocket for what you need to buy and do not look at those nice shinny new fast looking bike's or well you have been warned and if you should be married you may need to ask for help with the excuses as to why you needed such and such lol.

OP
OP
E

Exile

Hi Exile and welcome in a very short time you will look back at this post and go I am going faster than further than etc. It may seem a million miles away just now but just wait for that day when you overtake another slower cyclist oh yes my friend it will happen lol. Now the bit that someone must tell you about and well it's your bank account this cycling surely can empty it, should you feel the need to visit your LBC ( local bike shop) leave only enough in your pocket for what you need to buy and do not look at those nice shinny new fast looking bike's or well you have been warned and if you should be married you may need to ask for help with the excuses as to why you needed such and such lol.

Hi tis true what Ern1e says I never have any money , but got precious shinny bike bits, preciousssssss

Oh I think I've already encountered this "phenomenon" having spent a good long while looking at all sorts of fancy new bits for this bike. I'd like to say I've not looked at other bikes yet but... :whistle: Thankfully I seem to have some restraint for the moment, although I'm sure once the cycling addiction sets in things will be different.

:welcome: @Exile keep it up, you'll soon be fast fast fast :bicycle:
The only permanent 5mph on this forum is me :biggrin:

I've no doubts I'll get quicker over the coming months (can't get much slower, even if I get off and push!). Then I'll decide to use to bike to go camping and suddenly my speed will drop back below walking pace. I'm sure armies have waged whole wars with less kit than I take for a weekend camping :tongue:

Top Bottom