Hello from a naive newcomer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boyfrom64

Veteran
I simply want to say hello and that I look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge from the members of this board.

I live in the South of Staffordshire, close to the boarders of Warwickshire and Leicestershire, which provide a lot of opportunity to get out and about from the madding crowds.

Up until recently most of my fitness has come from running however, due to a knee inury I am not able to continue this hence why I am turning to riding a road bike. I have a number of friends who ride MTB's however this form of cycling holds no interest.

Currently I am exploring what bike to buy (any suggestions gratefully accepted) and I found my way to this site from the excellent thread on the same subject. Current bikes I am looking at are:
  • Orbea Aqua T23 / TSR
  • Scott Speedster S35
  • Felt T95
My aim is to ride all year round.

Well hopefully that gives a feel for why I am here and I look forward to exchanging information, views and generally learning from this board.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome Boyfrom64.:hello: I don't know about those bikes, but I'm sure someone round here does.

sabian92

Über Member
Welcome to the forum, you'll enjoy it here.

How much are you looking to spend, and are you willing to go used or only buy brand new?

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: Hello and welcome .
From another Runner with a knackered knee :wub: . I'm still jogging .
But really enjoy going out on my bike . It takes the weight off the knee joints . And I dont find It as hard as :huh: running .
So I hope you get your new bike .
Cheers :biggrin: :hello:

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Thanks very much all for the welcome :thumbsup:.

Zigzag, I hope in the near future to be able to do a little running however it will likely be restricted to a treadmill.

Sabain92, the figure I have put on how much I want to spend is £700 and yes I would be happy to look at secondhand however being new and just learning about roadbikes I am leaning towards new.

Overall I am sure that I will learn a great deal from this board but more importantly I am looking to getting out on my bike.

Happy :biggrin:riding all

ZIZAG

Veteran
:rolleyes: Hello Boyfrom 64. I just completed a Half marathon today and went lame at 7miles .

I managed to drag my leg over the last 6 miles on a excruciating knee . :wub:

So let that be a lesson to you . :ohmy: :wacko: :blush:
:ohmy: I will be very glad to get back onto the bike . Now I dont have to do any more training runs .
Its a lot easier on the knees .
Cheers :hello:

2old2care

Über Member
:welcome: :bicycle: Hi there welcome to another returknee :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Firstly:
wave.gif

Secondly, don't ignore the prospect of dropped handlebars. They give more positions for your hands than flat bars, so are better for long distances. But go for what you feel comfortable with, not what someone else wants you to have.

Thirdly, all three look like reasonable bikes, but the only way to find out which is better is to give them a go. Or that is what I was told, but coming from an old, rather poor bike I didn't know what was different and what was just uncomfortable.

If you are coming to the might smoke to look for bikes (Birmingham), post again and some of the locals (such as me) can give you some advice.

OP
OP
Boyfrom64

Boyfrom64

Veteran
Zigzg, ouch :eek: those last 7 miles must have hurt, I take my hat off to you for finishing. I must say that the last three weeks of riding I have been a pleasure I can go out, get some great exerecise and most importnently get off my bike at the end of a ride and have no pain in my knee. On top of this I have started to loose some weight that I had put on because I had not been able to go out and run.

I have to confess, all the time I was running and I saw guys (and girls) out riding :bicycle: their bikes I always thought they had it a lot easier as they could free wheel down the hills, whilst runners still had to use energy running. How wrong was I !! free wheel downhill at times yes but more importantly, what a feeling of achievment when you get to the top of a hill and then you want to get to the next to get that feeling again.

Bottom line is, you only realise how much you like something once you try it and I certainly have the cycling bug ;)

BrumJim, thanks very much for the offer. I am in Tamworth and whilst I have until now not looked at any shops in Birmingham any suggestions on who to go and talk to will be greatly received.

Top Bottom