Hello from another newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kleban

Hello all

I decided to take up cycling as a way of keeping fit. Being on the wrong side of my 40's I felt I had to do something about it ... :biggrin:

Anyway, I bought myself a mountain bike from a local cycle shop. Can anyone recommend a training programme to build up fitness. I do not intend to cycle competitively, only for pleasure.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hi & :welcome: to CC

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Hello mate.

Here's the training plan I followed when training for my first "big" ride earlier this year.

I'm also the best side of forty and coped with it.

Don't forget that nutrition and rest are just as important as exercise!

As the distance goes up you'll need to think about keeping yourself fed & watered on the bike; here are a couple of threads to get you started: 01, 02 and 03.

Bonne route!

OP
OP
Kleban

Kleban

Thank you folks for the welcome.

Thank you Jimmy for the link to the training plan :thumbsup:

Mr Molby

Kleban - i'm also a 40 yr old newbie to cycling - it sounds like you and i are starting at around the same level and for the same reasons..

Let's keep in touch !!

Jimmy Whiskers - thanks a million for this invaluable info........

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Hi and welcome to cycling

Cycling is a great exercise and amazing fun! My number one tip would be to not forget to stretch. A lot of people think that because it's a gentle exercise, it's not necessary to stretch before or after cycling - but this isn't true. Cycling without stretching can, over a period of time, cause nasty damage. I learned this the hard way!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hello all

I decided to take up cycling as a way of keeping fit. Being on the wrong side of my 40's I felt I had to do something about it ... :biggrin:

Anyway, I bought myself a mountain bike from a local cycle shop. Can anyone recommend a training programme to build up fitness. I do not intend to cycle competitively, only for pleasure.

How far is work? I find that commuting on my bike is the best form of regular exercise that I do.

OP
OP
Kleban

Kleban

Kleban - i'm also a 40 yr old newbie to cycling - it sounds like you and i are starting at around the same level and for the same reasons..

Let's keep in touch !!

Jimmy Whiskers - thanks a million for this invaluable info........

That would be great :thumbsup:

Top Bottom