Hello from Ashton-under-Lyne

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi everybody, I have been looking at this forum for a few weeks since I started considering buying a new bike so I have signed up (partly because I am a forum addict!).

First a bit about me. I have been cycling since..... well, since I could walk really and from the age of 10 used cycling as transport (mum, just nipping to my mates in Stalybridge.). Had various bike hand-me-downs at first, because I am the 3rd of 4 boys, but at the age of 15 got my first new bike, a £150 BSO mountain bike which got pushed to the limit and beyond as I ventured into the countryside. A couple of bikes later, at the age of 21, saw me buying my ultimate MTB in 1994, a GT Zaskar built up with Shimano XT. Now at the age of 37 I still have the GT and have been using it to commute at least once a week from Ashton to Hazel Grove to do the night shift for the last six months. It's a trip of just under 11 miles each way.

From my mid 20's to mid 30's I really let my cycling slip and probably did no more than 300 miles a year and possibly not even half that amount some years but still jumped on the bike occasionally to do the M/cr to Blackpool bike ride and also did the Manchester 100 miles 3 or 4 years ago with no problems despite only riding the bike 3 or 4 times in the 12 months before.

Now for the bad bits! I may be considered public enemy #1 by many as I spent 15 years as a van driver (my own business) and I am also a 4x4 off-road enthusiast, but before you all start hating consider this, As a proffesional and enthusiast driver I have the road knowledge to be a better, safer cyclist and being a cyclist makes me a considerate driver. Even though when cycling or driving I like to 'push on' I do not clash with other road users and being beeped at by other road users isn't something I experience.

Anyway, I am looking for a new bike and have one in mind (but that will be a seperate thread) and I look forward to being an active member on this forum if I can make a valid contribution.

Steve

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
A fourby off roader living in Tameside-who'd have thought it? Do you know Oily martin in bottom Mossley by any chance?

Welcome by the way!

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Do you know Oily martin in bottom Mossley by any chance?

Surely the question should be 'Is there any chance you DON'T know Martin?' as most people do. Don't see much of him since he has retired and I swapped from a Land Rover to a Jeep, but back in the day I spent a few evenings hanging about at his garage.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Welcome,good place Ashton- U - Lyne because i was born there !!!

One of the good things about Ashton from a cycling point of view (well, mountain biking) is that it is right at the foot of the Pennines so for a teenager with an MTB and a desire to explore it is heaven. Head over Hartshead Pike then towards Delph or Greenfield or Dovestones, or through Stalybridge and up to Mottrom cutting then left towards Swineshaw and Brushes or drop into Tintwistle and Hadfield for a blast along the old Woodhead railway track.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
One of the good things about Ashton from a cycling point of view (well, mountain biking) is that it is right at the foot of the Pennines so for a teenager with an MTB and a desire to explore it is heaven. Head over Hartshead Pike then towards Delph or Greenfield or Dovestones, or through Stalybridge and up to Mottrom cutting then left towards Swineshaw and Brushes or drop into Tintwistle and Hadfield for a blast along the old Woodhead railway track.

So true ! Pity i now have at least 25 miles of extra roadwork to get to the fun bit's !

Top Bottom