Hello from Astley, Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Judderz

Hello people,

I'm Phil, from a small village called Astley near Manchester (it's more near Leigh in Wigan, but I have a Manchester postcode)

Mainly into road cycling, I ride an Orbea Aqua, looking to upgrade next year to full carbon to an Orbea Onix, I've rode a lot of decent bikes (Fondriest, Fausto Coppi, Specialized etc), but have to say the Orbea is by far the best one I have ridden, so will be sticking with them for the forseeable future :smile:

Been cycling for as long as I can remember, I'm 39, soon to be 40 (next month), hoping to do the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride in July.

Hope to stay here for a while, if anyone is local to the area, and they fancy a ride out, give us a shout.

Phil

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
:welcome: Hello from the southside.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome buddy,i also live in Astley ! Normally have a blat out towards Tatton Park area when i'm free from the kids and "Boss" but also take part in some cracking forum rides which i am sure you will enjoy as much as i do.
Commute every day to Bolton which for such a short distance is a white knuckle ride some days !
You will like it on here,everyone if friendly

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Hello!!
wave.gif

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Phil I'd like to be able to give you a convinient link but my blackberry just won't let me. However if you wander in the informal clubs, rides and events subforum you'd find the relevant thread not far below the stickys- you'd be more than welcome.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Do you ride to Tatton Park, or drive there and take the bike?

If you fancy a riding partner somedays, give us a shout...I live on Bodmin Road

Ride...it's the law ! I'm getting a name for myself of going on forum rides and then adding another 60 odd miles on top to get to the meeting place !!
I live round the corner on Ullswater Road,normally ride down Stour road and off to the joys of Bolton.Tatton is a nice run down the back roads and we can get Potsy out as well !
Just had a good run down the canal from Worsley to the coal mine,ground is rock hard ! What sort of mileage do you like ?
Steve

OP
OP
Judderz

Judderz

Lol Steve...you're about 2minutes from me....I'm a member on another cycling forum...they are mainly Americans, so no locals on there...joined here, first day I found 2 people within 2miles of me.

Weekends I usually ride to Rainford/Simonswood, 32-38miles depending which I do, straight down the East Lancs along the cycle path. During the week do 8mile sprints or 20mile at a faster than average pace, depends what time I finish work. Planning on doing Rivington this weekend, need to get some hills in, and as it's more or less a hill all the way there, so seems like a good idea.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Small world ! I avoid Bodmin nowadays after i got hit and runned there a couple of years ago from a guy coming out of Muirfield avenue.Rivington is a good run and by the time you've got there you are warmed up.Try and have a go at the Hebden rides,it's 34 miles from our end and then a good hilly ride from there with good cafe stops to fuel up.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Phil.

As he mentioned - 'Skud' has done quite a few of my forum rides recently and always insists on riding here and back as well! You'd be very welcome to come over to join us for one of them.

I hope you don't mind me going slightly off-topic here, but I saw mention of Tatton Park above... I have a friend who is pretty much a non-cyclist but she does own a bike. She says it is too hilly round here so I said I'd go over to Cheshire with her on the train and do a ride to Tatton Park on our bikes. I've never been there but it sounds nice. I'm assuming that there are woodland trails we can cycle round? If so, are they suitable for a road bike?

We were thinking of getting the train to Manchester Victoria, making our way down Deansgate (she might be a bit nervous in the traffic there, I reckon) and catching another train from Deansgate station to Glazebrook.

It looks as though there is a reasonably quiet route from Glazebrook to Tatton Park, but I'm not familiar with that area so they could be rat-runs for all I know. Any advice on a choice of quiet route?

It would be about 19 miles to and from the park, and maybe 6 meandering about inside it. I think it should make a fun flat 25 mile day ride for her. (She is fit enough to do 10 mile hilly walks without any problems.)

Top Bottom