Hello, from Birmingham UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matthew8

Hi all,

Quickly Googled Cycling Forums and came across you guys, looks like a wealth of information here, and a good community, so hope I am welcome here :smile:

I have just started to cycle seriously - as a kid I was always riding my horribly heavy steel framed beasts around, but have just invested in a Canondale Bad Boy - classed a hybrid, but with some mega thick wheels, and not typical hybrid diameter! Fantastic so far.

Cycle approximately 8.5 miles each way to work, roads all the way. Main purpose was to get fit and healthy, and shed this rapid gained fat over the past 18 months (5 stone in that time). Have been cycling only about 3 times a week as I'm rather tired and recovery is not good. Have a few questions if you guys don't mind (maybe I should post elsewhere?).

1. Have been doing that 17 miles x 3 times a week for about 3 months and have seen no weight loss! Infact, gain. Am I not eating enough and putting my body in starvation mode. For that distance and the time I do it in (35 mins on the way there, but about 40 - 50 depending on wind, and my fatigue after a day in the office), I am told it should be 600 calories-ish each way, but I don't feel exhausted and out of breath at the end, so wonder if that's a real figure. I appreciate I may have gained muscle and lost fat, but thought I'd see more results by now?

2. I find my handlebars are quite low - can they normally be adjusted? Manual doesn't mention anything, and bike shop seems almost reluctant at times to help!

Thanks all,
matthew.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Welcome to the forum.

1. Weight gain is probably due to increased snacking. Cut out the bad stuff, and eat significantly less on the days that you don't cycle.

2. Probably, but cant help you. Try the Know How section.

OP
OP
M

matthew8

Thanks for the help Jim. Noticed you are also local to me.

I have cut the crap where I can, drink only water - no fizzy or juices. I try to eat most of my food in the day, and less at night.

Looks like a nice forum. Thanks :smile:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Hello and welcome !!

For the handlebat height have a look if the stem is on top of all of the spacers or in the middle of them. If in the middle remove the stem, put all of the spacers on then re-attach the stem.

paul

pepecat

Hi from another one in Brumland.

You should be able to raise the handlebars - find out how it undoes and pull it up - the stem should say 'stop' or 'max' or there may be a line instead which tells you how high you can raise it.

Top Bottom