Hello from Dalgety Bay, Fife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Virtual DBP

Hi all,

Decided to make my first post a simple hello.
I've returned to cycling after about 4 years in a bid to get fit again and save some money... I say save money but in reality I know I'll end up spending loads on bicycle stuff so it will probably cost money in the long term.

My Bikes:
My main bike is a giant scr2.0. It's 3 years old and has been used more in the last fortnight than in all the time I've had it.
I also have a basic Claud Butler mountain bike that gather's dust in the garage...
...and finally I have a 1984 Claud Butler Brevet which I bought second hand. It works ok and has some original bits. My plan is to refurbish it and turn it into a nice tourer (and try to learn about bicycle mechanics along the way).

My Cycling:
Over the last couple of weeks I've started commuting again (about 3 times a week) from Dalgety Bay to Edinburgh (14miles each way). I'd also like to get out and do some longer distances on the weekend.

So as promised, "hello"

Cam

Hiya.

If you want to try some longer distances in good company you might want to check out the cc central Scotland ride thread.

GAVSTER

Another Dalgety Bay wallah here.

More often can be seen on Brommie going between Inverkeithing and DB to the train but sometimes cycle through.

Which route do you take to Embra?

OP
OP
V

Virtual DBP

Hi Gavster,

On the way in i go down to the anchor and along the coastal path to ballast bank park in inverkeithing and then up the hill and down to the bridge (on the way back i go past inverkeithing high school and up past the granary).

over the bridge and past the shell garage and up onto the main road towards tesco, through queensferry (left at the roundabout and then first right heading to the hp building) i then take a path towards the walkway near the railway and then out onto a road at the top of Dalmeny (B924). take that to the end and then right at the junction and then follow the cycle path to crammond brig. I then join the main road and cycle along queensferry road to just beforethe dean bridge. all in it's about 14miles one way, which i do about 3 times a week and it takes me about 50 - 55mins depending on the headwind.

GAVSTER

I live right by the Anchor sometime go along the coast to Inverkeithing sometimes go up the hill to the BP garage - I can't work out which hill I hate most the slow pop up the road or the nasty wee climb in Inverkeithing :-)

I will look out for you in future.

Gav

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Virtual DBP said:
Hi Gavster,

On the way in i go down to the anchor and along the coastal path to ballast bank park in inverkeithing and then up the hill and down to the bridge (on the way back i go past inverkeithing high school and up past the granary).

over the bridge and past the shell garage and up onto the main road towards tesco, through queensferry (left at the roundabout and then first right heading to the hp building) i then take a path towards the walkway near the railway and then out onto a road at the top of Dalmeny (B924). take that to the end and then right at the junction and then follow the cycle path to crammond brig. I then join the main road and cycle along queensferry road to just beforethe dean bridge. all in it's about 14miles one way, which i do about 3 times a week and it takes me about 50 - 55mins depending on the headwind.
That's a horrible bit of path - narrow, overgrown and a disgrace. :biggrin:
My advice would be to turn right when you reach the Dalmeny road, continue past the Royal Elizabeth Yard, turn left at T-junction at the bottom, then tank it past the cottages, under the railway bridge, up the cutting, along to Craigiehall army HQ, re-joining the NCN 1 past the bridge over the A90. Much nicer route, though can be challenging 'fitness-developing' in strong winds :wacko:

Oh and :smile: :wacko:

scoosh said:
That's a horrible bit of path - narrow, overgrown and a disgrace. :biggrin:
My advice would be to turn right when you reach the Dalmeny road, continue past the Royal Elizabeth Yard, turn left at T-junction at the bottom, then tank it past the cottages, under the railway bridge, up the cutting, along to Craigiehall army HQ, re-joining the NCN 1 past the bridge over the A90. Much nicer route, though can be challenging 'fitness-developing' in strong winds :wacko:

Oh and :smile: :wacko:
I'd second scoosh's route, although its slightly longer than the NCN its faster.

Ranger

HLaB said:
I'd second scoosh's route, although its slightly longer than the NCN its faster.

I'll third it, to a point. Instead of turning left at the roundabout in Queensferry go straight on towards Kirkliston, you will see a sign on the left for the Queen Elizabeth Yard. Follow that, turn right at the end and you are at the T-junction Scoosh is talking about

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
... there's also the NCN signed route just after the bridge:
- continue half way up the hill towards the roundabout, take the signed left turn, past the car/truck park, on through the houses, following NCN signs, R at T jn (opposite playing fields), second left (NCN signed) and towards HP/Agilent place, R just before and you'll recognise here you are by now !

So much choice, so many commutes to decide :ohmy:

Top Bottom