Hello from Derby...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I've poked my nose in a few times over the last couple of weeks, and now I've signed up. My name is Mark, and I'm from Derby.

I recently restarted cycling after me and my ex-wife decided to buy bikes for our two daughters the Christmas before last - the plan being that I buy for the younger and she buys for the elder. I must admit that at the time money was tight and we weren't sure how the girls would take to cycling, neither one having ridden much. but I did some research, took the little one (8 next week) to the local discount bike shop and got her a Salcano Muki. The ex bought the other one a pink BMX-style thing from a catalogue. Still, they'll do until the point I can afford better.

Last spring I decided that it'd be a fine idea to go cycling with the girls in the sunshine, so I did some more research, some sums, and got myself a Barrossa Monaco hybrid. A rack for panniers, mudguards, an alloy frame and a smart shade of blue. I also kitted myself out with a carrier for the back of the Magnet (my Ford Fusion - last 3 letters FNE. My sense of humour's a little peculiar...).

It's been slow going, with the weather and the lack of anywhere near where the girls live to teach them to ride, but with the help of the University car park we're just about ready to go places properly. I've taken the elder one around Markeaton Park (she's picked it up faster), and I'm eyeing up the Tissington Trail and the old railway to Etwall for later in the year...

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and:welcome:
It's terrific to have the whole family involved.
I think you made a good investment with the bikes and hope you get lots of enjoyment out of them in the future.

paul04

Über Member
Welcome to the website Mark. Glad your out and about on your bike, and also encouraging your two daughters, takes me back to when my son was about 6 years old and teaching him to ride his bike without stabilizers:smile:

jugglingphil

Hi Mark
My family (2 boys 13/10 & wife) did some of the Tissington Trail last year and enjoyed it. We made a weekend of it, cycling from Ashbourne to Hartington, staying in a B&B then cyling back the next day. Our 1st mini tour as a family. However, it can be a good day out.

Anyway, enjoy your cycling and don't force the girls out in this weather, you don't want to put them off before the good weather comes (hoping that we will actually get some good weather!).

Top Bottom