Hello from Edinburgh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jhob

I have just started cycling again all of 2 days ago after a hiatus of about 10 years and am really enjoying it!

I am currently intending on commuting the 14 miles or so to work a couple of days a week on Edinburgh's great network cycle paths, it's also really flat which is great. Also planning to head out for rides at the weekend.

I'm hoping that cycling will help sort my knees out as they are pretty dodgy and I've had to almost totally give up sport over a year ago, just itching to get back doing some again. The constant even pressure on the knees of road cycling I'm hoping will sort them out, or at least improve things.

I bought a road bike second hand off ebay last month and it's been really good so far. It's nowt flash - a matrix whirlwind made by Neuzer, shimano sora for the derailleurs, prowheel chainset (most likely cheap but seems to work perfectly well and tektro brakes which are a bit rubbish. Think I'll replace them with some second hand 105 calipers at some point. As long as nothing much breaks it's pretty much perfect for what I need.

I just fitted a lightweight rack tonight so that I can attach panniers for the commute, picked a cheap pair of them up from lidl for just £15 last week too.

I'll most likely be a question asker on here for the time being as I will likely have many questions but little to offer in the way of advice for the time being.

Garz

Squat Member
Hey! and welcome!

OP
OP
J

jhob

HLaB said:
Hiya, it always nice to have another cycle commuter in Edinburgh.

My commuting route will be from Musselburgh, along the innocent railway, through Holyrood and then on to the canal path at Tollcross up to Riccarton way. It's great that there's so little road sections involved in the journey and how flat it is!

My wife has also just started commuting to Inverleith every day too and she's loving it. She managed to get a cycle to work bike but my work weren't running the scheme unfortunately :-(

jhob said:
Being an Englishman, no kilt I'm afraid!

Don't be afraid, be proud!

You up for the Pedal for Scotland Glasgow - Edinburgh 13th September?

So far (almost 100% of making it) I'm the token Sassenach on the CC team!

Welcome, by the way! :welcome:

OP
OP
J

jhob

Sounds like fun but I can't make that weekend unfortunately, would be up for trying something like that at a later date though!

Ranger

Dayvo said:
Don't be afraid, be proud!

You up for the Pedal for Scotland Glasgow - Edinburgh 13th September?

So far (almost 100% of making it) I'm the token Sassenach on the CC team!

Welcome, by the way! :welcome:

Not the only one, I'll be there as well.

and welcome JHOB, I commute into the Inverleith area every dayl, so tell your wife to keep her eyes open for a CycleChat jersey

MajorMantra

jhob said:
My commuting route will be from Musselburgh, along the innocent railway, through Holyrood and then on to the canal path at Tollcross up to Riccarton way. It's great that there's so little road sections involved in the journey and how flat it is!

Welcome!

I'm not sure I'd describe that route as flat though it's certainly not bad. From Musselburgh up to Holyrood is all uphill though it's never terribly steep.

If you ever decide to try an on-road route for the first part of your journey, try this:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=14013

There's a bit of a climb in the park but you get to do it above ground (rather than in the tunnel) and you get a nice view over Duddingston Loch. Personally I'd stick to the roads actually as some of the cycle paths around Duddingston and Craigmillar take you through some rather insalubrious areas. Also, they tend to have broken glass on them so make sure you've got decent tyres pumped up to a reasonably high pressure.

Reading that back it sounds discouraging - sorry!:biggrin: Cycling in Edinburgh is great actually.:smile:

Matthew (who can be seen on a blue Pompino, a white Genesis or a black and red Ribble - all road bikes)

Top Bottom