Hello from Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goldcoast

Just a quick hello to everyone from the coast!

Have spent the last few weeks intently reading and trying to learn as much as I can. I'm hoping to pick up a road bike in the next week or so (new or used) keep thinking I've whittled down my choice of bike but at every turn there's another bike that catches my eye.

I've been roped in by my brothers to do the London to Brighton bike ride but as usual this has now got competitive :smile: my brothers in their 20's think they can finally take me now im in my 30's, no chance ;)

So while they may have youth on their side, Im going to rely on experience to start training now, the use of this forum and to take any advantage by getting the right bike.

Anyway that's enough of me rambling on

Paul

paul04

Über Member
Welcome to the website, you will find loads of info/tips and advice on here:smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
hello paul... 'the right bike' is no substitute for getting out, pedalling and pushing yourself.

A mate of mine will talk endlessly about how more efficient his road bike is, with it's splashes of carbon fibre, narrow tyres and titanium bolts than my steel MTB with fat nobbly tyres... but seeing as i ride a feck of a lot more than he does, I can easily outpace him... it's not the bike, it's the person on it :thumbsup:

*saying that, most on here would liken my pace to that of a snail.

OP
OP
Goldcoast

Goldcoast

Hiya, thanks for the welcome.

I couldn't agree more with you it's about time in the saddle. Just managed to arrange working from home so have gained about 5+hours a day commuting time so there's no excuse for me not getting on my bike. Although its going to have to be 1 step at a time - going from training twice a day 5 times a week at the gym to nothing for about 2 years. :sad:

Can you fear the pain and actually look forward to it at the same time?

OP
OP
Goldcoast

Goldcoast

I've being looking at the Specialized Allez and the Roubaix but I have read the Roubiax is a shorter frame, is this correct? Mountain/hybrid bikes I've had in the past which have had a shorter frame I haven't really enjoyed, felt to cramped but I guess it could have been the actual fit of the bike was all wrong.

Would love the Tarmac bit out of my price range at the moment.

Other bikes I've being looking at are trek , giant ant the forum favourite triban 3

About 3/4 years back I really wanted a cyclecross but the shop I went into hadn't even heard of that type of bike so I just left it :sad:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
hello paul... 'the right bike' is no substitute for getting out, pedalling and pushing yourself.

A mate of mine will talk endlessly about how more efficient his road bike is, with it's splashes of carbon fibre, narrow tyres and titanium bolts than my steel MTB with fat nobbly tyres... but seeing as i ride a feck of a lot more than he does, I can easily outpace him... it's not the bike, it's the person on it :thumbsup:

*saying that, most on here would liken my pace to that of a snail.
I agree, I see constantly on this site comments about bikes being faster or slower (I think I have been guilty too) but I have watched many bikes and none of them seem to have any momentum or speed of their own at all. When a rider comes along that is when any momentum or speed starts happening. There is no substitute to miles in your legs, your legs being the engine of a bike. A Ferrari with a metro engine will always be slower than a metro with a ferrari engine. I always used to ride a low geared fixed as my every day bike (lovely Hobbs of Dagenham lugless with ChaterLea chainset btw) which made my legs work, so when I got on a high geared road bike I could turn the big gears and make real progress. I did used to ride my Butchers bike (first time round) and outpace many of the Sunday riders on their new 'handbuilts' not now though! I had some bl**dy nice bikes in my time and have been left for dead by an old boy on his twenty year old slightly ratty Holdsworth more then I care to think about. Technique and fitness is what makes a good rider and we can all achieve that with time, dedication and a little luck.

I am sorry if I state the obvious, pontificate and ramble on but that's me, finished now :smile:

jennyb

Hi fellow Essex-onian! Good luck with the cycling - I'm a newbie too and picking up my new Triban 3 tomorrow !
:welcome:

OP
OP
Goldcoast

Goldcoast

@ pale rider awesome aircraft, didn't think I'd be lucky enough to see it fly. Took the photo at Clacton air show.

Hi @jennyb lucky you! I'm still trying to work out my short list :sad: have fun on your new bike

Top Bottom