Hello from Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ericck

Regular
Hi,

Just joined the forum.

I have started to cycle regularly for both exercise and transport so thought
it would be good to engage with some like minded people.

Hello Ericck and welcome to the forum.

You've found a cracking site here, so get stuck in enjoy the forum and your cycling.

Where abouts are you in Essex? I'm from Brentwood but live abroad now.

OP
OP
E

Ericck

Regular
Hello Ericck and welcome to the forum.

You've found a cracking site here, so get stuck in enjoy the forum and your cycling.

Where abouts are you in Essex? I'm from Brentwood but live abroad now.

Just down the road from Brentwood in Basildon.

I cycle a lot around Langdon Hills.

I see you are in Oslo now, a long way from Essex.

Went there once about 20 years ago, remember it being very expensive

especially if you wanted a drink.

gds58

Über Member
Hi Ericck,

Welcome to CC, you'll find plenty of helpful advice on here and maybe occasionally some not so helpful!! :biggrin: :biggrin: but it's all part of the fun. There aren't many questions that can't be answered by somebody on here so even if you have what you think is a really daft question just ask away mate!!

It seems to me that you are one of an ever increasing band of people who are turning to cycling as an adult in order to both save money and keep fit into the bargain as well. Good for you mate and enjoy it. The bug will soon bite if it hasn't already and you'll be wanting more and more I bet!!

Hi from me in Colchester,

Graham

Toeclip

Guru
Hello Ericck

I`m from Thurrock and occasionally pop into Langdon Hills visitors centre for a coffee or two.

logrus

Hello from Billericay,

I started cycling just three weeks ago, and have found some lovely rides in the area.
I also started riding as a way to get/keep fit and i love it.

There is a local club that meet in Billericay on sundays for rides out, only been once so far but it was good.

Feel free to PM me if you fancy a ride out.

regards
Jason

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Hi Ericck,

I'm up on the Essex / Suffolk border. May see you at the races? ( Langdon Hills Sept 18th.)

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Hello from Billericay,

I started cycling just three weeks ago, and have found some lovely rides in the area.
I also started riding as a way to get/keep fit and i love it.

There is a local club that meet in Billericay on sundays for rides out, only been once so far but it was good.

Feel free to PM me if you fancy a ride out.

regards
Jason

Jason, is that Essex Roads? Was debating popping along one Sunday to their "anyone can come" ride.

OP
OP
E

Ericck

Regular
Glad to see that there are a few local people to me on this site.

Not sure if I'm ready to ride in a group yet. Not the fittest guy around,

still prefer to get off and push :surrender: if its a really steep hill, rather than be in a really

low gear with legs going ten to the dozen.

gds58

Über Member
Glad to see that there are a few local people to me on this site.

Not sure if I'm ready to ride in a group yet. Not the fittest guy around,

still prefer to get off and push :surrender: if its a really steep hill, rather than be in a really

low gear with legs going ten to the dozen.

Getting off and pushing won't get you fitter for the next time but legs spinning round 'ten to the dozen' probably will!! You'll be much better off if you can stay on the bike even if it means going quite slowly in a very low gear. You'll be surprised just how quickly things will improve. There is also a lot of technique required to climb hills efficiently and only with lots of practice will you find the best method for you. Some may prefer sitting down in a lower gear holding on to the tops of the bars whilst others favour out of the saddle in a slightly higher gear or 'honking' as it used to be called.

Don't worry about being slow when in a group ride. If they are a decent enough bunch then they will either wait for you or the stronger riders will ride alongside you with a hand on your back giving you a gentle push to help you along. You'll be amazed as well at how much easier a ride feels when your in the company of a group of other riders. The friendly banter will soon take your mind off how much your heart lungs and legs are hurting!!

The Essex Roads (if it is them at Billericay) are a great bunch and a very traditional club who would definitely give you all the encouragement you'll need.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Graham

Top Bottom