Hello from Fleetwood in Lancashire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coddy

Hello to all cyclechat members,

My name is Dave. I''m a "codhead" born and bred in Fleetwood. The name "Codhead" is derived from Fleetwood's maritime heritage. Fleetwood was once one of the largest fishing ports in the UK but this has all but died out since the Icelandic Cod War. The townsfolk are often referred to as "Codheads" and the local football team Fleetwood Town are now in the Conference Premier league and supported by "The Cod Army"

Amongst other forums, Cyclechat has been a port of call for me to read all the good advice from the collective experience of all it's posting members. Count up all that and the final total in years of experience must be staggering. I recently bought an old Stumpjumper to complement my Dawes Galaxy as I fancied trying out 26 inch wheeled touring with straight bars, v brakes and lower gearing. I am in the process of making a few changes to it. Adding butterfly bars, changing the stem, looking at new tyres etc which is the reason for finally registering as a member.

I am primarily a cycle tourer rather more than owt else. Sometimes on my own or if shifts permit with Stan the man that can, my friend from work. I have been meaning to blog up my trips for some time. Recent surgery and the subsequent time off work gave me the golden opportunity to make a start. You are welcome to have a read and it will help as an introduction about myself.

Cods on Tour : Budapest to Corfu 2010

Tara for now.

regards to all.
Dave

That bridge in Montenegro is something else! Welcome to the forum Dave - have fun and you might like to spread your word about this jaunt in 'Rides and Touring'. Well done.

'Cods Roe' ? :biggrin:

OP
OP
C

coddy

Cheers Aperitif. I'm glad you enjoyed the read. It took me flippin ages to knock up..!! Once Stan the man that can produces his edited diaries for the other trips, I'll be able to get them blogged up as well. He re-writes history as he doesn't want me to be offended by some of the content in the originals. What a kind and considerate fella....:biggrin:

Living in a former fishing port, fish used to be the second local currency in Fleetwood and would arrive at our house concealed in wellies, inner pockets of large overcoats etc. My Dad was once given some cod roe and sat all six kids around the dining table to sample the delights along with a plateful of chips. We ended up being force fed the horrible, yucky stuff..!! The chips were great though.

So despite having a fishy surname, I am not at one with the delicacy.

DaveyB1981

Welcome aboard Coddy!

That bridge does look awesome. I'll take a look through the rest of the blog later as it looks a good read!

Where abouts do you tend to ride? I'm just up the road from you on Thornton.

Dave

OP
OP
C

coddy

Cheers Dave,

I'm a tourer rather than a regular roadie but when I feel the urge for a day out locally I tend to do circulars along the prom to Lytham and back through rural Fylde or visa versa. I sometimes head off towards Lancaster, Caton or the Trough and Chipping. Mini tours: I have done coast to coast from Fleetwood to Whitby quite a lot and a few times onto Scarborough and York. It's a great route via Ribblehead/Hawes/Richmond/Stokesley/Commondale. We've managed it in a day a few times. Last time out we went up to the Tan Hill Inn via Barbondale to Dent (pint at the Sun Inn), up the steep hill past Dent station to Garsdale Head, across to Hawes and over Buttertubs to Thwaite and Keld and then uphill to Tan Hill. We were going to camp but it was blowing a gale and freezing so we slumbed inside with B&B. Love the place..!! Coming back we headed North West to Kirby Stephen and back through sedbergh and Caton. We sometimes use the YHA's. Malham is a good 2 dayer over the Trough of Bowland and back. Where else..?? North Yorkshire and Cumbria.....Grassington and Wharfedale gets a look in, the Lakes when we are feeling well off..!! We cycled up to Kielder recently stopping at Cockermouth and Newcastleton and then did parts of the Hadrians Wall route to Newcastle. I've done the official C2C a couple of times. Generally I prefer heading east and north rather than southwards. Can't be doing with busy roads.

I sometimes go watching Fleetwood Town at away games on the pushy. Two birds with one stone. I've done Stafford, Leek, Gateshead, Workington, Harrogate, Hyde, Stamford, Ilkeston, Solihull, Vauxhall Motors, Guiseley and Retford. Gateshead was a good trip which was really a bonus as it created another C2C for me. Fleetwood to Tynemouth via the Tan Hill Inn. What a cracker..!! Most of it on minor roads via Ribblehead, Hawes, Buttertubs, a little off road down from the Tan Hill Inn to Bowes, on to Stanhope and then follow the official C2C to Tynemouth. Wouldn't mind doing that one again.

Catching the train over to York opens up the options if I'm limited for time. A direct train for £20/30 ish.

I'm looking to do a world tour when the government finish messing about with my retirement date. Fancy it? :biggrin:

Top Bottom